•Chapter 49•

Harry Styles

Harry Styles

11th April 2022

That night as Thea curled against my chest, dreaming of our future, I couldn't sleep a wink.

I knew that as she was falling asleep that she was imagining it. The perfect garden with the treehouse and swing set. Mini versions of ourselves running around in the freshly cut grass as she danced around the kitchen baking. The smile on her face as her body began to wind down said it all.

The guilt was eating from the inside out, like it had buried itself deep into my chest and was clawing at the seams to escape. It was killing me. When usually the sound of her breathing steadily against my chest would be a soft lullaby to lull me asleep, that night it was just a constant reminder that I was hiding things from her.

The perfect house. The perfect kids. The perfect life. I wanted to give her everything but how am I supposed to do that when I'm hiding a secret that she'd hate me for for the rest of life and there was nothing I could even do about it.

I'm running on complete dead batteries because every single time I close my eyes all I can picture is her face when she inevitably finds out. The way her face drops in horror as the realisation sinks in that I kept this from her.

I don't want to keep this from her.

It's like my own living hell.

Nightmare after nightmare over breaking her heart.

"Hey mate." Niall calls down the phone as I step into the elevator.

For the first time in my medical career I am terrified to participate in a consultation.

"Hey." I respond. "Ni, I'm not going to be able to talk for long. I have that meeting remember?"

"Oh fuck yeah. Do you remember our plan? What you need to say and do?"

"Yep. I know exactly what's about to happen, Ni. It's about fucking time that I get this over and done with. This man is a fucking nightmare."

"Agreed."

"I just reached my floor, Ni. I'll have to call you back later." I murmur down the phone as I stride out of the elevator.

"Alright, tell me how it goes. See ya, mate." He responds before hanging up.

It took a lot of convincing and honestly some would consider it harassment but I finally managed to reschedule the meeting from last week that has the ability to solve all of these problems.

"Dr Styles?" The intern behind the nurses desk calls out as I walk by, "Your three o'clock meeting is waiting in your office. Hasn't been here long but I thought I'd let you know."

"Thank you." I call back as I walk towards the door but I'm halted in place when I notice a certain tiny blonde sitting on the chairs directly outside my office door with a folder and pen tucked tightly in her arms.