•Chapter 40•

Althea Cooper

Althea Cooper

24th February 2022

It's 5pm and I'm running around like a headless chicken trying to put everything in order so that I can actually enjoy my weekend away with Harry.

Since we came up with the idea, we've both been in much better spirits, almost as though having something to look forward to has managed to pull us both out of the slumps we'd been drowning in.

I've actually been bouncing with anticipation and excitement since Harry mentioned the idea. As soon as the words came out of his mouth I was already planning exactly what I wanted to do on the Friday night, which just so happens to be tonight.

If I'm honest the idea has been brewing for a long time now. In fact I've been thinking about it since that first night on top of the hospital when Harry was completely mesmerised by the city lights below us.

I've seen him happy a fair few times since then but I have never seen him glow in the way that he does when he's standing on top of that rooftop. On that rooftop he looks like his entire body has been washed over with a blanket of relief and I'm hoping with everything in me that what I have planned will have the same, or at least a similar effect. He deserves that. He deserves tranquility.

The bell above the cafe door chimes as Harry's cheerful voice rings through the cafe. "Buttercup? You ready to go?"

Just before I get the chance to answer him, my phone begins to buzz along the countertop but before I can pick it up, Harry's strong, tattooed arms wrap around my waist pulling me into his fresh cotton scented chest and suddenly the phone call is forgotten.

"Hi." He hums into the crook of my neck, the warmth of his breath sending goosebumps ricocheting all the way down my spine.

Instinctively my body melts against his own, lulling my head back against his shoulder so that our eyes meet. "Hi, Sunshine." I grin upwards to him, watching as his eyes light up.

A gentle smile creeps up his face before he leans down to peck my lips, his smile growing against the skin of my lips before I pull away with a wide grin. His lips attempt to follow mine, not wanting me to pull me away and when I pull back again, I swear I almost hear him whine.

Attempting to talk through my giggles at his neediness, I place my hands against his firm chest to keep the distance. "Come on, we don't have time, Harry." I laugh as I watch the pout grow on his face.

"One more." He pleads, puppy dog eyes on full display.

Rolling my eyes but knowing I don't have it in me to resist either I reconnect my lips with his in a fleeting touch before pulling away and shuffling away from the counter before the taste of his lips hypnotises me.

"Are you nearly ready?" Harry questions as he casually leans against the countertop with a bright smile.

"Yeah. I've just got to finish putting the delivery away in the back and then we can go." I reply as I wipe the final countertop clean of any remaining crumbs from the day before disappearing into the kitchen.