•Chapter 17•

Althea Cooper

Althea Cooper

4th December 2021...

I'm sitting in the front passenger seat of Harry's black Range Rover, curled up in a ball with my head against the window. I can barely remember how I got here. If I'm honest I can barely remember anything about the last three hours. It's all just a blur of tears and shouting inside my head.

My eyes are burning and I can't tell if it's from all the crying or the fact that I barely slept a wink last night. I was too anxious to let my mind settle but right now I feel like I could sleep for the next fifteen years and I'd still wake up tired.

I'm so exhausted.

All my brain can seem to focus on right now is the steady sound of rain that is echoing through the speakers of Harry's car.

I don't know how long we've been driving. All I can remember is that Harry asked me to unlock my phone so he could get the directions to my house. I willingly, without even batting an eyelid, typed in my password and let him do whatever he needed to do. I don't have it in me to care about anything right now.

I feel empty.

Not like two hours ago when the noise inside my head was screaming on a constant cycle and I couldn't escape the pain. No. Now all I feel is a deep emptiness. Like the last few hours had sucked the last of the life out of my already tired soul.

I don't know how many minutes pass as I just watch through the car window as the evening sky goes from a dusky orange to a complete and utter darkness, no noise being made between Harry and I except for the occasional sniffle that I realised was still coming from me.

Am I still crying?

I wipe below my eyes to find my cheeks damp with the constant flow of tears that I had become so used to, I hadn't even realised they were still there.

Harry's soft voice makes me jump when he begins to speak next to me, "Hey Thea. We're here. Do you have your keys?"

What?

Oh.

I turn my head back towards my window and lo and behold we're outside of my house, the small living room lamp shining back at me through my half closed curtains.

I will myself to snap back into reality to answer Harry, my voice so small and scratchy, I barely recognise it, "Umm...yeah. Thank you."

I begin shuffling around with my still shaky hands to open the passenger door and head towards my empty house. I just need to sleep. Everything will be fine in the morning.

Before I even manage to open Harry's car door, his body is in front of me, holding his hands out.

"I'm okay Harry."

"No you're not Thea and that's perfectly fine but just let me help you." He sternly speaks.

My stubbornness takes over and I shove him away with the little strength I have and pull myself to stand on my gravel driveway, the small stones unsteady below me. Just as I stand completely upright, my knees buckle below me, I reach for the side of Harry's car to hold myself up but not before two strong arms wrap around my waist catching me before I hit the ground.