thirty two

The palace dining hall radiated an air of regal serenity as Yuna indulged in a seemingly tranquil lunch with her parents

In the midst of the meal, a subtle exchange of glances between Jihye and her husband signaled the onset of a conversation they had contemplated. The king nodded, gesturing towards Yuna, directing the impending discussion towards her.

"Yuna, there's something I want to—" Jihye began, her eyes searching for the right words.

Yuna, her intuition already hinting at the nature of the forthcoming discussion, swiftly interjected, "Mom, I'm sorry, but I need to use the washroom."

The urgency in her voice betrayed a sense of foreknowledge as she excused herself, discreetly retrieving her phone to send a quick message to Hongjoong.

Returning to the table, she nodded at her mother, signaling her readiness for the conversation.

Jihye took a moment to compose herself, her eyes reflective of the concern she harbored. "So, about your marriage, I was thinking I could set up a blind date for you. What do you think?"

Yuna, nervously playing with her food, sensed the weight of her mother's unspoken hopes. With a delicate touch, she responded, "Actually, Mom, I have a boyfriend."

The surprise and curiosity in Jihye's eyes were palpable as she laughed gently, "Oh? Why didn't you tell me? Who's the lucky guy?"

A deep breath preceded Yuna's confession, her eyes revealing a mix of vulnerability and determination. "You know, just... Hongjoong."

Jihye's initial surprise turned to bewilderment, her brows furrowing as she sought to comprehend the revelation. "What? Can you say that again?"

Yuna, repeating herself with a hint of strength, stated, "You heard it right."

Jihye chuckled, a mixture of disbelief and curiosity in her gaze. She briefly exchanged glances with her husband before locking eyes with Yuna, "Yuna, if you're saying that just to avoid blind dates, drop it."

Offended by the implication, Yuna retorted with a touch of defiance, "Mom, why would I say that? I'm dating Kim Hongjoong, believe it or not."

Jihye, a trace of frustration now coloring her tone, said, "But Yuna, you despised him. I don't understand."

With a mix of emotion in her voice, Yuna opened up, baring her soul to her mother.

"Mom, it's not about despising or defying anyone. It's about finding a connection that transcends our family history. With Hongjoong, I've discovered a sense of joy and authenticity that I never knew was missing. Every moment with him feels like reclaiming a part of me that was lost in the expectations of our families. In his presence, I don't just exist; I live. And isn't that what you want for me, Mom? To live a life where I feel alive?"

Jihye, grappling with a spectrum of emotions, queried in an attempt to understand, "Yuna, you know both our families have history. I can't support you, even if I want to."

"I don't care about the history, Mom. I'm with him, and I'm happy. That's all that matters," Yuna declared, her gaze unwavering, a subtle plea for acceptance in her eyes.

Sighing, Jihye insisted, "Yuna, break up with him right now."

Yuna scoffed at the suggestion, her defiance mingled with a sense of determination, "What? Of course not."

Jihye, looking at her with a piercing gaze, pronounced with a touch of sternness, "You're grounded."

Unfazed, Yuna met her mother's eyes, her own gaze reflecting a resolve not easily swayed. "I'm not a teenager. You can't ground me."

Jihye, resolute but perhaps a touch conflicted, commanded, "Yes, I can. Now, go to your room."

Yuna, refusing to yield, stood up, grabbed a cap nearby, slipped on her shoes, and exited the dining hall.

Her mother's voice echoed behind her, calling her name in frustration. As she left, Jihye turned to her husband, throwing her arms up in frustration.

He offered a calm perspective, "She's an adult, Jihye. She knows what's best for her. Let her be."

654 words damn who's this