Chapter 26: The Chamber of Secrets

One month passed following the boys' encounter with the spiders. Joni, Harry and Ron were on their way to the Hospital Wing to visit Hermione, joined by Caitlin. Joni had decided to tell her everything that they had been doing when it came to trying to find out about the Chamber of Secrets. About to enter the Hospital Wing, Madam Pomfrey is barring at the door, frowing at the kids.

"There's no point in talking to a petrified person." She told them. "She won't hear a word you're saying."

This caused Caitlin to shift uncomfortably. "We know that, Madam Pomfrey. It's just, well, you see, we though, maybe, we could... be with her for a bit. She's our friend, you see, and... even if she can't hear us... it can't hurt, can it?"

Pomfrey then looked specifically at Joni, who was carrying a new set of flowers for the pot on the table next to Hermione's bed, sympathetically, before answering.

"Very well, then. But be quick about it."

As Pomfrey left, the kids walked to her bed. Absently, Ron picked up Hermione's mirror that was laying on the nightstand, then eyed Lockhart's GET WELL card.

"You don't think Lockhart could be the Heir of Slytherin, do you?" He asked.

Harry ended up nudging his elbow agains Ron, nodding towards Joni, who was silent the entire time.

"Right. Forget i said that."

Joni started to take out the old flowers from the pot on the table and putting new ones in. He then sat next to her on the bed and took a hold of her hand, while Harry, Ron and Caitlin sat on her right side.

"Wish you were here, Hermione." Joni said quietly. "We need you. Now more than ever. I wish i could figure out where the Chamber is or what the monster is. I know i'm not as smart as you, but i wish i could do something."

Caitlin was looking down while taking a deep breath, while Ron placed a hand on her shoulder to comfort her. Joni was rubbing his thumb on the back of Hermione's hand when he felt something in her hand.

Confused, he moved his hand away he saw she was clutching a ripped paper. He then took it and started to read it

"What's that?" Ron asked when the others saw the paper.

"Was it in Hermione's hand?" Harry asked, and Joni nodded.

"Guys..." Joni then said, the missing pieces falling into place in his head. "This is why Hermione was in the library the day she was attacked. Come on." He then left the Hospital Wing, with others following behind him.

While walking, Joni started to read the paper while others leaned in closer.

"'Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years, instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpent's eye. Spiders flee before it.'"

He then turned to others and they stopped walking. 

"Guys, this is it. The monster in the Chamber of Secrets is a basilisk."