Chapter 19: Gilderoy Lockhart

The following day, the second-year students were gathered in the Greenhouse Three for the Herbolofy class on their first day in the school. Harry and Ron entered the classroom, where Joni and Hermione were already waiting for them, when Seamus and Neville walked up to them.

"Detention. On the first day?" Neville asked.

"That must be some kind of record." Seamus said.

"I should think you'd count yourself lucky that's all you got." Hermione said.

"I should think you'd mind your own business." Ron said back.

The two glared at each other from across the table before Joni decided to calm things down.

"All right, you two. Stop it." He said, then looked at Hermione. "At least they're not hurt." But he got a mischievious look and quickly said to Ron. "But you should have seriously waited for your parents."

Both Harry and Ron groaned at this, when the Herbology teacher, Professor Pomona Sprout, who is a squat short witch, entered the classroom.

"Morning, everyone." She greeted the students. She then tapped her wand on the table to get their attention. "Good morning, everyone."

"Good morning, Professor Sprout." The students greeted back after turning towards the teacher.

"Welcome to Greenhouse Three, second years. Gather around everyone."

The students now stood closer to the large table, and everyone had a pot in front of them as well.

"Today we're going to re-pot Mandrakes." Sprout said while taking a large pot from behind her with a Mandrake inside it. "Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake root?"

Hermione, who was standing on the left side of the table between Joni and Susan Bones, lifted her arm up to answer, as did Joni.

"Yes, Miss Granger and Mr Potter?"

"Mandrake, or Mandragora..." Hermione began to answer. "... is used to return those who have been Petrified to their original state."

 "It's also quite dangerous." Joni then finished. "The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it."

"Excellent." Sprout beamed. "Ten points to Gryffindor for each."

Harry and Ron, who were on the opposite side looked happy, as did Neville, Seamus and Dean, Caitlin applauded them a little while smiling, while Malfoy, Snyde, Crabbe and Goyle kept their glares

Hermione meanwhile whispered to Joni. "Nicely done with the finisher."

"I had a good teacher." Joni whispered back.

"Now..." Sprout then continued. "... as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet. But they could knock you out for several hours, which is why i've given each of you earmuffs for auditory protection. So if you could please put them on right away? Quickly."