Lighting Up Hearts

"Sooo," Beck began, "how was your day at school?"

I raised an eyebrow at him and asked, "Are you seriously attempting to make small talk?"

"Does it bother you?" he retorted, unraveling the spindle of lights we were going to use.

"Well no offense but you kind of sound like my mother right now."

"I'm sorry that the awkward silence was starting to agitate me. I'll do better next time, sweetheart," he winked.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed the unrolled lights, "I thought you said you didn't enjoy getting under my skin."

"I don't," he crossed his arms.

I furrowed my eyebrows confused, "Then why do you still call me that?"

He smirked, "Because I like seeing you get riled up."

I shook my head annoyed, "That's basically the same thing as getting under my skin."

"No," he chuckled, handing me more lights. "It's not."

"You're weird," I stated.

He cocked an eyebrow, "Says you."

I rolled my eyes and scoffed, "Whatever Brat."

"So you're not going to tell me?" he questioned.

I sighed, "Well it definitely could have been better."

"Why's that?" he asked, rummaging through a bin on the other side of the room.

"Are you asking because you actually care or because you want to tease me some more?"

He walked towards me with a staple gun in his hand and chuckled, "Uh a little of both."

"Well you being you this morning before first period really didn't help matters," I stated.

"What do you mean?"

"You keep winking at me, that's what I mean," I muttered, wrapping part of the lights around the painted plywood.

He took his staple gun and started sending a couple staples through the wood to hold the lights in place. I wasn't going to question him because it wasn't that big of a deal but I was slightly curious as to why he had all these tools lying around. The only answer that came to mind was probably because of his father.

He looked at me with a big smirk on his face, "Oh, well I'm sorry but that's just my normal response when someone wants to kiss me."

I slapped his arm and rejected, "I don't want to kiss you."

He cocked an eyebrow at me, "Right Terror. So why did you stare at my lips then?"

I crossed my arms, "I didn't STARE at your lips."

"Sorry, you glanced at them," he corrected himself.

"Well maybe."

"Why?" he quizzed stepping towards me.

I absolutely despised when he got close to me because every time he did he was trying to get some information out of me. It just didn't feel right to even be in proximity to him.

"I don't know," I croaked.

He took a step back and uttered, "Well you better be careful because you wouldn't want to make Josh jealous."

"Mhmm, I wouldn't want that," I nodded, wrapping more lights around the plywood.

Beck sent a few more staples through and pondered, "Wait, does he already know?"