Asking & Telling

A couple of hours later and the final bell rang signaling that school was over for the day. I was somewhat ecstatic to head to our meeting, but also I still felt weird. It was strange because during the beginning of the day I was happy, but after lunch something seemed unearthly. In the back of my mind I honestly just assumed that it was the panic and pre-nausea to almost slipping and falling.

Layla and I were sitting on our usual bleachers in the gymnasium waiting for Beck to join us. We were chatting for a little bit when the conversation died down and we became quiet. For the first time in a long time I scanned over the court and observed how Sadie, and her two minions, Ava and Chloe, were spending their committee time. Obviously I couldn't hear what they were saying but I had a sneaky suspicion that it had nothing to do with prom.

When we first started the big group prom meetings Sadie stated that there was only three committees that really needed to work. Of course since her dad was a big business man and had loads of money she put herself and her friends in charge of music and food.

I knew that she probably hired some fancy DJ, which wasn't the worst thing in the world if I was being honest. I was just praying that she didn't book a caterer for this dance. I wasn't sure about the rest of the student body but Layla and I did NOT want to eat fancy food when we would be sweating up a storm. Personally I wanted simple snacks like chips, and cookies, which was nothing too major.

"Can you believe that this is what they do during this time?" Layla scoffed pointing at the she-devil.

"Yes Lay I honestly can," I replied.

"And they call us the losers," she uttered.

"Exactly," I smirked, "So I hear you have something to talk to Beck about."

Her blue eyes widened and I wanted to burst out laughing but I calmly kept it in.

"How do you- I never told you that," she leered.

"Okay so after lunch when I was cleaning the cafeteria tables Beck walked by coming back from the bathroom," I explained, "He showed me the text that you sent him and asked if I knew what it was about."

"Oh, what did you tell him?" she asked worried.

I grinned, "Of course I told him that I knew nothing. I wasn't going to spoil it for you Lay."

"Okay good," she breathed out a sigh of relief.

I was trying so hard to hold in my laughter over this whole situation, but it wasn't that easy. I was usually the one who was in Layla's predicament and she was the instigator. However, the universe decided to be on my side for once and now I could poke and prod everything out of her. It felt satisfying to be on this side of the spectrum. I just hope that whatever happens after today she doesn't get hurt.

"When are you going to ask him?" I questioned.

"Probably whenever he gets here," she answered.

I nodded, "Would you like me to leave you two alone when he arrives?"

Layla rested her hand on my shoulder, and smiled, "Would you please?"

"Of course," I nudged her side, "I always got your back."

"And I got yours," she chirped.

"Are you nervous?" I asked.

"Honestly," she leaned back, "no not really. If he doesn't see me that way then we can just stay friends. Whatever way that I feel towards him is not like how you feel towards Josh, so I wouldn't be heartbroken. It's no big deal."

I smiled as I heard her reasoning and it made me feel happy inside. Layla was such a mature grown young woman, well at least most of the time, and I admired that.