Chapter Thirty Four

"Are you sure this is the right town?" Yibo asked Ziyi. He didn't allow Ziyi to call Zhuocheng to inform them that they were going there. If Zhan is there, he doesn't want him to be able to hide. "I've been here, Yibo. I've met his mother, a retired teacher. Mama Yingchun was supposed to be at the party but that night she suffered a nervous breakdown so she almost that's why Zhuocheng arrived late that night at the party." Ziyi suddenly frowned. "Why should we look for Zhan at Zhuocheng's house?"

Yibo sighed. He couldn't answer that either. But he had a suspicion that Zhuocheng would be able to answer that question.

"You love him, don't you?" she said later.

"Yes. I love him, Ziyi. I'm sorry, but what happened two years ago between him and Jeffrey was-"

Ziyi shook her head. "No, Yibo. It wasn't Zhan's fault. When Jeffrey didn't want me to attend the party, I got worried. For a few days, he talks about Shannon all the time. That's why I called you to accompany me to his mansion..." Yibo looked at her for a moment before focusing his attention on the road again. "What are you talking about?"

"I have a suspicion that Jeffrey put drugs in Zhan's wine."

"What!" He turned to his cousin again. Someone drugged my wine, Yibo...Zhan is telling the truth! His anger almost overpowered him.

"And you let us all believe that Zhan broke your engagement? And you let the whole world believe that he was a tramp?"

Ziyi shivered. She had never seen Yibo this angry. "P-please pull over," she said fearfully. "We might have an accident... Let me explain." The sportscar violently swerved to the side of the road and braked. Without the seatbelts, Ziyi would probably have sunk into the dashboard.

"It had better be good, Ziyi, or you'll-"

"Oh, Yibo, please, don't scare me," she said fearfully. "I'm sorry I didn't say anything about it during that time." She sobbed. "Jeffrey did to me what he did to Zhan..."

"What do you mean?" Yibo's dangerous tone made Ziyi cringe. "I was so helpless, Yibo. I couldn't tell the family. I was so ashamed of myself because I gave him the chance to do that to me. I showed a motive. I really had a crush on him during that time. And it was too late to do the right thing. I threatened him to use family connections if he didn't marry me.

"He knew Grandpa had friends that could ruin his career. He talked to Mommy and offered marriage, it was my second mistake, it made him so angry he wanted to physically hurt me but couldn't, because everyone could see that. He dated other women in front of me. Then he introduced me to drugs." Yibo swore savagely.

"That night, I...I tried to warn Zhan. We had started to become friends. I knew he wasn't like me. He doesn't show interest in anyone. It's so easy for him to push anyone away. But he has nothing against Jeffrey because he doesn't know his plan...

"When we arrived at the mansion, we were too late. And I couldn't tell the truth without exposing my weakness... my own shame. So, I let everyone believe Zhan was to blame. I got hooked on drugs all the more because I felt so guilty." She continued to cry. She pulled out a tissue from the tissue box and wiped away a tear. "I know Zhan was strong and could take care of himself. He really did make it despite the nasty rumors. It made him so famous some of the guilt was taken off me." She looked up at Yibo. "I'm so sorry, Yibo. I'm so sorry."

He turned his cousin and brought her to his chest. "Hush. If it wasn't for you, Zhan might have perished..." Ziyi straightened her body upon hearing this. "What do you mean?"

"We weren't late that night."

Her eyes grew wide. "H-how did you know?"

"Trust me, Ziyi," he said and smiled at her. Restarted the car engine.