Chapter 31 - Cracked

A/N:

Wordcount: 4658

A wave of nausea washed over your body; your mind too overwhelmed to work properly. Gazing at Perospero, you opened and closed your mouth in a couple of weak attempts to get your vocal cords to cooperate, but nothing but hot air pushed past your lips.

"Until she has proven her innocence, she will be held in Mont d'Or-sama's books."

Proven my innocence?

Redirecting your attention from Perospero's warm chocolate eyes to the little chess soldier, you wanted to protest your sentence. However, instead of voicing your disapproval, a voiceless yelp escaped your lungs when two other Homies suddenly grabbed onto your arms and dragged you with them, the feeling of losing control urging your heels to bury themselves in the grass below as you tried to keep the soldiers from tearing you with them.

The Homies, however, never got far, though the added drag from your heels only played a marginal role in that, if any. Before they had taken more than a few steps, Katakuri wrapped his arm around your waist and threw you over his shoulder, leaving you to gasp at the sudden impact of his shoulder colliding with your abdomen as frantic eyes stared at the grass below you.

Can someone please tell me what the fuck is going on?

"Give me the keys." Katakuri's voice pulled you out of your racing mind.

"Katakuri-sama," the Homie stammered as he shrunk under Katakuri's glare, his gaze flicking between the outstretched hand of the Sweet Commander where he was supposed to place the keys and the murderous glare of his superior. "We have orders to lock her up."

"And now you have new orders. Tell whoever ordered it that I made a different decision. Give. Me. The. Keys." If it wasn't for the tall man's words, it was the venom in his tone that underlined that he certainly wasn't in the mood to keep this discussion going.

The chess soldier Homie nodded profusely before he fulfilled the Sweet Commander's command. Briefly shuffling in his pocket, he then placed the key to your seastone cuffs in the tall man's hand.

Meanwhile you were listening in on their exchange whilst still hanging over Katakuri's shoulder. Eyes wide from horror were staring at the ground as your breathing had turned shallow from both fear and Katakuri's shoulder pressing into the pit of your stomach. Your mind was panicking.

Treason? Locking you up? In Mont d'Or's books no less? That was a fate worse than death. Nothing was happening inside those books. There was no light, no sound, not even time, just absolute nothingness that would drive you insane sooner rather than later.

Why isn't anyone telling me what's going on?

Lifting your head up slightly, you looked for Perospero and Smoothie, searching their faces once you had found them standing behind Katakuri in hopes to find a clue, a hint, a lead, anything really to help you figure out what was going on, but both to your relief and frustration, they looked as confused as you did.

Locking eyes with Smoothie, you watched her mouth a 'What have you done?' to which you just responded with a shake of your head.

What have you done? Fried doughnuts? Tried a new flavour combination? Surely that couldn't be the reason why everyone was freaking out.