Chapter 9 - A piece of cake

Marco left the party shortly after and you watched his Phoenix illuminate the night sky. With each beat of his wings, his figure grew increasingly smaller until he was lost in the dark night sky.

A soft breeze ruffled your hair as you watched Marco disappear and a few errand strands which had escaped the remainders of your hairstyle during the festivities were swaying lightly in the wind. Bringing up a hand to tuck the hair behind your ear, you picked up on long footsteps approaching from behind you.

"Smoothie~" you chimed as you turned around and flashed the tall woman a half-genuine smile, sending your hair to fall around your face again. "Sorry about earlier, they just-"

"Don't worry," Smoothie cut you off before you could finish, "it's a good thing they know they cannot just push you around. However," Smoothie's face changed, and you could watch a small mock-pout edge her features, "don't treat me like that."

"I would never," you gasped, bringing a hand in front of your heart to dramatically enhance your promise.

Staring into each other's eyes in feigned offence and hurt, your faces quickly changed into a smile before both of you broke the silence with a hearty chuckle.

Once both of you had regained your composure, Smoothie stepped aside and revealed a table with a few of the older Charlotte children seated around it. With a gesture of her hand, she silently invited you to join them.

Is that really a good idea if all we do is piss each other off?

Her invitation was declined by a small shake of your head followed by your face stretching into a yawn.

"Thanks, but I have an urgent meeting with a mattress, a pillow and blankets," you mumbled mid-yawn whilst rubbing your eyes to postpone sleep for only a little longer. A pat on Smoothie's thigh signalled your departure but as soon as you had turned around, you felt Smoothie's fingers close around your shoulder in a strong grip, keeping you in place.

"Wha-"

"It's your wedding night, you can't leave alone. Katakuri will accompany you."

A frown instantly wrinkled your face at her statement. Not that you were worried about anything happening since he didn't want to risk a rash.

But even if...how?

Great.

"Yaay," you feigned happiness, balling your hands into fists and bringing them in front of your chest to do a little happy-dance to underline your irony.

Smoothie just chuckled at your childish behaviour before nodding towards the previous table and stalking off, leaving you to finish your little dance performance of dissatisfaction by yourself.

By the time you closed up to her she had already informed Katakuri that you wanted to go to your room. Her steps were just too long for you to keep up with when you were walking normally, let alone sleepily and slightly tipsy. Another yawn fought its way on your face as you arrived by the table, and you noticed that every conversation immediately ceased upon your arrival as you became the new centre of attention instead.

I'm flattered.

"Naww, already tired?" Perospero's voice pulled your tired face into a scowl.

Fuck you, Perospero.

You watched his face return the scowl and it was only then that you realised that you had actually voiced your thoughts. Apparently, your brain was already too tired to filter out the information correctly.