Chapter 21 - The person inside

A/N:

Wordcount: 4815

Still buried in the papers in front of him, Katakuri's eyes fixed on the window next to him, dark eyes watching the light of the evening sun crawl over the city and illuminate it in a peaceful orange.

He had been hiding in his studies all day, and still he hadn't gotten any work done. His mind was too busy replaying the events of the morning and analysing your face that had burned itself into his memory.

Why were your eyes so empty when you had seen his face?

His heart had sunk into his stomach when Brûlée had informed him that you were going to stay with her for the day, but he was grateful, nonetheless. It allowed him more time to come up with a plan on how to proceed.

It had been years since anyone had seen his face.

He had sworn himself that no one who saw his face was allowed to live. No one who could tarnish his reputation, no one who could endanger his family with this knowledge, no one who could make fun of him.

But could he do that to you?

And the answer was frustratingly clear to him.

He couldn't.

And not only because it was his job as Sweet Commander to look after you and keep you alive, but because he as Katakuri also didn't want to.

A quick knock against his studies pulled him out of his thoughts and upon sensing with his haki who was going to enter his studies, he quickly walked over to the door and opened it.

Brûlée.

However, you were nowhere in sight.

Katakuri tensed at your missing presence. Wrapping his hand around the doorframe, he peeked into the long hallway in hopes to see you somewhere.

Left – right.
Repeat.

"She's with Peros-nii, don't worry."

Katakuri turned back around to face his sister, accompanied by an irritated twitch in his eyebrows, before he stepped aside to allow her to enter his studies, gesturing with his hand inside.

"What is it, Brûlée?"

The woman walked up to his desk where she softly dropped down on one of his armchairs and crossed one leg over the other as she glanced at her brother who had remained standing by the door.

"Katakuri-onii-chan, I don't know what happened this morning, but you need to talk with her about it."

She didn't know.

You hadn't told her.

You had just figured out one of his biggest secrets, a secret that could have potentially destroyed his years of hard work, and you didn't share it with anyone. Not even with his family.

Why?

"I don't understand it, and I hope one day you'll trust me enough to help me with it. Until then I can respect it."

Katakuri's eyebrows furrowed while he turned around, shutting the door behind him to join his sister on one of the seats.

His large body sunk deeply into the cushions, the leather around him wrinkling audibly while it moulded against his body.

In the meantime, Brûlée studied her brother's face, noticing every little wrinkle that cut between his eyebrows and front from the glare that had pulled on his face all day. Exhaling a quiet sigh, the tall woman wanted to move on with the conversation, but Katakuri's Observation was faster.