Chapter 37 - Fulfill your purpose

A/N:

Wordcout: 6000+ (chapters will get shorter again, dw. There was just no way I could have cut it shorter)

"The greatest of them will set sail soon," Ace snickered next to you, the boyish grin that promised both comfort and mischief at once lost in the distance. "I hope he joins us."

"I'm not sure whether I can handle another one like you," you laughed and you watched Ace's face pull into a small pout at your remark. "Oh, come on, you know how I mean it," you jested alongside a playful nudge into the ravenette's side. Ace was almost offensively unfazed by your little assault as he kept grumbling something incoherent under his breath, but the small smile that threatened to tug at the corners of his lips was all you needed to know that he was only pretending to be mad at this point to make you feel guilty.

Unsuccessfully attempting to make you feel guilty if you might add.

Arms folded on the railing of the Moby Dick, the two of you spent your afternoon lazily gazing into the ocean and enjoying the tranquillity of the sea. The sea was calm. Only small waves lapped up the sides of the Moby Dick as you both kept your eyes fixed on the horizon, enjoying the refreshing breeze that ruffled through your hair and swirled the salty aroma of the ocean around you.

Shutting your eyes, you took in a deep breath before you exhaled it.

A content silence lingered between you when you opened your eyes again, (e/c) orbs quietly marvelling the ocean you called home when you caught the glimmer of Ace's dark orbs looking at you from the corner of your eyes.

"What?"

"I think you two would get along just fine," Ace remarked with a smile to his voice. The good mood of the young man was contagious. Letting out a small chuckle at his remark, you scooted a little closer to your little brother and rested your head on his shoulder. In response, Ace snaked an arm around your waist and pulled you into his side more.

"I think so, too," you muttered quietly, eyes fixed back on the horizon and the different blues that shone brightly under the sun. "Your brother is my brother, and that's all I need to love and protect him."

"You know fraternizing with pirates that aren't affiliated with us is considered treason, right, yoi?" A familiar voice rung from behind, and you suddenly felt a large presence loom over you.

If it wasn't for the colloquial or the voice, this time laced with a hint of tease, that had made you recognise who your new conversation partner was, it would have been the warmth of the large hand that draped over your and Ace's shoulder. Rolling your eyes at Marco's empty threat, you turned around as Ace let out a low chuckle at your expression.

"Are you threatening your sweet, wonderful, smart, and loveable sister?" you feigned offence as you leaned against the railing, a hand over your heart for dramatic effect.

"Loveable?" Marco laughed. "Since when? Last time I checked you were a pain in the ass." Now you weren't feigning offence anymore. That comeback came a little too quickly for comfort. Glaring at the tall blond through narrowed eyes, Marco only laughed at your disgruntled expression before his hand moved from your shoulder to your hair, ruffling it. You angrily swatted his hand away, only for it to be replaced by Ace's and him ruffling your hair instead.

           I hate both of you.

"Oh, come on, you know how I mean it," Ace echoed your words from before with the sweetest voice he could muster, smiling innocently at you and you suddenly wanted to punch him in the face instead of Marco. Lovingly punch him in the face.