Chapter 11 - Gentle

Leaned against a tree with a book in hand, you sat on the grass outside the Castle and watched the clouds pass above as you were absentmindedly listening to Katakuri train in the background. The sound of breaking trees, screaming Homies, and him calling out his attacks disrupted the otherwise calm afternoon, but it had been like that since the day you married Katakuri and it had only taken a week for you to get used to it.

Your new life had quickly fallen into a routine. Your day started with breakfast with some of the Charlottes, followed by you staying by Katakuri's side for the rest of the day and using your devil fruit to boost him or his crew during training. Word quickly spread among your in-laws that Katakuri's power had taken a new terrifying high and so you were frequently joined by some of his siblings who wanted to watch their perfect brother obliterate whatever he was fighting against while you preferred to busy yourself with something else. It was getting repetitive anyway.

Rather than watching him destroy the umpteenth tree Homie, you focused on either whatever entertainment you brought along with you or polite chatter with your in-laws. However, the long sessions of your active devil fruit power use were getting exhausting and so you repeatedly drifted off into a nap during Katakuri's Merienda, something you had quickly learnt was of great importance to him.

That was your routine whenever you were spending time with Katakuri. For the rare instances when he was busy with something else, one of the other Charlottes kept an eye on you, which mostly turned out to be either Smoothie or Brûlée. You didn't mind their company, though. You had quickly learnt that the two women had more to them than their terrifying reputation. 

The evenings were spent with dinner with other Charlottes and though you were constantly by their side, most of them didn't try to make you feel welcome. Most of the in-laws weren't treated like family anyway and just because you were married to their favourite brother didn't seem to grant you any special treatment.

The nights hadn't changed since your first one as you still stayed on your bed alone while Katakuri fell asleep leaned against the wall, a habit you still couldn't quite understand but didn't bother to question anymore. On an emotional level you weren't sure whether you or Katakuri had made any progress. Though he did let you finish most of your sentences by now, you still found it incredibly hard to read the man with a diploma in resting-bored-face.

"Willow mochi!"

Distracted by your thoughts and the clouds above, you hadn't paid attention to anything Katakuri was doing. The sudden shake of the earth violently jerked you out of your thoughts. Snapping your eyes towards where you had last seen Katakuri, you watched another tree get blasted, sending splinters flying through the air along with some landing on your book.

Furrowing your brows in annoyance at the rough nature of the distraction, you caught a glimpse of a carriage stocked with several large donuts rolling towards you. With a quick glance thrown at the clock in the middle of Sweet City, you watched the second hand of the clock slowly tick towards the very top, followed by the chime of the bells that indicated that 3 p.m. had arrived.

Punctual as ever.

A small smirk curled your lips as you got up from your spot and dusted yourself, and your book, off before you slowly strolled towards Katakuri who had also noticed his chefs' arrival and stopped his training.

"See you in an hour?" you joked as you stood beside the tall man, glancing up at him and flashing him a cheeky grin before you returned your attention to the cart that came rattling loudly towards you.