Chapter 4 - Right your wrongs

"You are the special guest, my dear sister-in-law."

The sound of cracking porcelain echoed throughout your quiet home as you dropped your cup on the floorboards, spilling the remaining tea across the old wood.

Your companion didn't seem to mind your reaction, though. Bringing his freshly poured shitty tea to his lips, he carefully studied your face which had frozen in place.

Honestly, to him, it was amusing. With eyes wide from horror and your mouth slightly agape, you just stared blankly into space, and although you looked like a gaping fish on land, no air passed through your lips or nose as you had temporarily stopped breathing. To you, time had seemingly stopped existing while Perospero's words still bounced inside of your skull.

The blood in your veins had also frozen, and you felt your heart miss a beat as your mind repeated the words over and over in attempt to make sense of his statement. Not that his words were difficult to understand or left much room for interpretation, you just didn't want to believe that these words had really left his lips.

Eventually, a tightness in your chest reminded you to breath again. Drawing in a deep breath through your mouth, you felt yourself snap out of your trance and along with the air stretching your torso, time started ticking again.

"What?" you whispered more weakly than you had intended to but your vocal cords were still numb from shock.

An amused snicker left Perospero as he set his teacup back onto the table.

"First you act all tough and now you look at me as if I had just signed your death sentence."

Because you did!

However, despite your confusion and panic, his snicker allowed you to regain control over your body again as you became acutely aware of something. That bastard was enjoying the show. He enjoyed your shock, your struggle, your fear. He had been enjoying it since you had barged into your home and he was still enjoying his front row seat to your mental breakdown in this very moment. Deciding not to humour his sick preferences anymore, you forced your body to calm down again and meet his mocking personality with feigned confidence.

With a glare creeping over your face, you stared him down from across the table.

"Fuck you, Perospero."

"We are really going to have to work on that language of yours," the Charlotte concluded, unbothered by your insult as he just stared back at you with that same overconfident smile still present on his face. 

Holding your glare for a few more seconds, Perospero eventually shifted his attention to his coat and opened it. Next, he shuffled through one of his pockets before pulling out an eggshell-white envelope. The smile on his face only broadened the moment his eyes met the envelope before his attention quickly shifted towards you, burning at you with a sadistic fire you had rarely seen in your life.

Silently placing the envelope on the table, he then pushed it in your direction whilst carefully observing your every reaction.

You stared at the seemingly innocent paper approaching you with furrowed brows, glaring at it as if it was ringing in the end of your life. Most likely because whatever was inside of it would prove your fears right.

No, you didn't want to touch it. You didn't want to read it. You didn't even want it to be so close to you. The closer it came, the stronger the iron grip around your throat got, squeezing the life out of you.