Chapter 29 - Storytime

A slight flush tinted your cheeks as you giggled happily as you leaned on Smoothie who sported the same colour on her cheeks.

"No way, Oven! Your hair just grows into that hairstyle?" you gasped, earning yourself a round of muffled chuckles from the Charlottes around you.

"Why is everyone always surprised about that?" Oven grumbled as he poured himself another drink, but by the light smile on his lips you could tell that he wasn't really bothered by your disbelief.

Smoothie, Brûlée, Perospero, Oven, Daifuku, Katakuri and you were all sitting in the tearoom, though the name was quite unfitting as tea wasn't the beverage you were currently consuming. It was surprising, really, to see them enjoy a few drinks. The only things you had seen them drink so far were water, tea, and Smoothie's smoothies. Apart from your wedding, you had never even seen alcohol anywhere near the Castle and so you were more than surprised when your in-laws had asked you whether you wanted to join them in a drink or two.

You had arrived back on Whole Cake Island the day after your departure from Komugi Island and were pleasantly surprised when you saw your favourite in-laws back as well. You pretty much threw yourself into the arms of Smoothie and Brûlée and they returned your friendliness with backbreaking – backsmoothiing? – hugs. The days alone with Katakuri where wonderful, especially since you enjoyed the privacy and intimacy that came with them, but a part of you had also missed the rest of the family.

Oven ruffled your hair when he saw you and Daifuku looked as displeased as always. You still had to figure out who spat into his drink every morning to make him look that annoyed all day. Perospero had flashed you a slightly forced version of his signature smirk, and though you couldn't quite decipher where the strain was coming from, you were pleasantly surprised when he asked you to enjoy a relaxing evening with some of the older siblings.

Another drink was pushed over to you by Oven, and you accepted it gladly, gesturing a cheer into his direction before you took a sip of the drink.

"If you think Oven's hair is funny, you'll love to hear that Katakuri once had to pull Brûlée out of her crush's chimney," Perospero remarked nonchalantly, accepting his new drink from Oven with a quick nod.

You spat your drink over the entire table, showering Daifuku in it. At least now he had a good reason to look displeased. Dragging both of his hands over his face, Daifuku wiped his face clean while glaring at you.

"WHAT?!" Brûlée and you almost screamed in unison. However, while you were wiping some alcohol off your chin which had dropped to the floor, Brûlée on the other hand looked absolutely mortified. Her entire face quickly turned red and for a moment you weren't sure whether it had even started steaming from embarrassment.

Oven was wheezing at your expressions. Laughing until tears were prickling in his eyes, he leaned back in his chair until he fell on the floor where he only continued laughing. Perospero had to swallow a laugh himself, while Daifuku was still pissed over his involuntary shower. Katakuri's eyes shifted between all of you, and he was trying really hard to supress to roll them.

"That's not funny," Brûlée screeched, lowering her head onto the table, and hiding her red face from your judging eyes.

Oven was almost suffocating from his own laughter, but by the time you managed to reattach your jaw to your skull, Oven had pulled himself back up. Only his head was looking over the table as he wrapped his fingers around the tablecloth to look at his family again, his head as red as his pants.

"It is. 30 years later and it's still funny!" And with that he went back down, clutching his stomach with one hand while forcefully punching the floor with the other.