Chapter 1 - Lucky

"Bye Fee, see you tomorrow," you called out to your friend, offering a small wave with your hand as you pushed the door to the bakery open with your back before you stepped onto the street.

The evening sun shone brightly through the street your little bakery was located in, painting the picturesque town in lovely shades of gold and amber.

A content sigh escaped your lips as you brought a hand up to shield your eyes from some of the sunlight that flooded the street before you casually wandered down the busy alley, clutching your bag to your side.

The island you lived on wasn't large by any means, but the amount of different small shops that adorned the alley was impressive. The smell of fresh produce, mild flowers and freshly brewed ale filled your nostrils and the familiar bustling of the surrounding shops echoed in your ears as you made your way back home.

Weapon dealers, iron smiths, breweries, flower shops and different restaurants were just some of the shops that neighboured your little bakery. Well, not your bakery, but the one you had been working in for the past two months. Since....

No

You shook your head. The day had been too pleasant to be going over the same thoughts again. You'd only end up rethinking, reanalysing and rearranging them in a way that made more sense to you. 

It was all in the past anyway.

No amount of overthinking changed the past or helped you in finding happiness in your current situation. All it did was to remind you of the pain and sadness that accompanied you. Sadly, whilst gnawing on your inner cheek, the newly established routine of walking yourself home and tormenting yourself with your thoughts had quickly become part of your life and so you found yourself once again struggling to focus on the present.

A fresh and salty wind snapped you out of your thoughts.

The beach?

Lost in thought, you had absentmindedly strolled onto the beach, your sandals already buried in the sand as you stood there, silently gazing over the ocean. A sad smile edged your features as you took in the serenity of the ocean this time of day. Small waves caressed the pier and the sandy beach, the whites almost reaching the soles of your shoes before they retrieved back into the vast amount of blues and greens that now shone brightly in different shades of orange in the evening sun.

It had been two months since you had sailed to this little island, two months since you had promised yourself to never go back to the sea, two months since you called one of the few independent islands on the New World your home...

Never to see him again

You furrowed your brows at that thought, the smile now replaced by a small frown. There he was again. Once again he invaded your peaceful mind with his impressive presence when all you tried was to move on. The red hair, the bright eyes and the inviting smile that once promised you the world and all your heart desired for as little as a smile.

No laughter from the crew that used to give you headaches was heard; no embarrassingly bad dancing could be spotted; no six billionth rendition of Binks' sake was sung, and no strong arm around your waist could be felt. Neither the tanned chest that rumbled with laughter nor the soft kiss on the top of your head as you snuggled against his chest was there anymore. What once felt like everything your heart desired now only stayed to mock you as all you had left were memories.