Chapter 16 - Old friends

A/N:

Wordcount: 5538

"(Y/N), FOR THE LAST TIME, CHECK ALL YOUR SIDES," Smoothie screamed at you before your body had even collided with the ground.

Apparently, the 'die' part in 'learn fast or die' was to be taken literal.

Your thoughts were cut short when you felt the skin of your back dig into small pebbles. The impact made you choke on your own air, drawing a hiss from you in-between pained gasps that were directed at the sky above you as your body was flung across the training grounds yet again.

"Maybe we should cut her some slack," Brûlée sighed as she fanned some fresh air over your face in an attempt to ease some of your pain, "she was just in the backlines when she was with the Whitebeard pirates."

Smoothie roared in the distance, her rage rendering her ability to form coherent sentences useless for a few moments.

"I don't care if she was in their backlines. She could have been cleaning their toilets for all I care," Smoothie hissed, sheathing her sword. "(Y/N)," you heard her scold, accompanied by the sound of her lazy jog, "one day you will have to fight properly, whether you want to or not." Smoothie looked down at your figure as soon as she had reached your side, and the sight was a quite miserable one to behold. You were laying on the ground, one arm lazily hanging over your eyes to shield them from the sun whilst you were still busy panting heavily. "This is all for your own good."

Tell that to my back.

Still, you managed to curl your lips in a strained smile as you peeked at the woman from under your arm.

"I know, just-" you stopped as your arm fell back over your eyes, your other arm gesturing over your entire body in defeat, "give me a moment."

Smoothie scoffed as she dropped next to you on the floor, joining Brûlée in fanning fresh air over your face.

Softies.

A giggle form Brûlée caught your attention, prompting you to drop your arm to your side again and reveal your exhausted face as you observed the woman with a quirked eyebrow.

"You are getting better though. Peros-nii took a break from sparring with you because it's not as much fun to beat you up anymore now that you pose some resistance."

Aww thanks, I hate him too.

Smoothie forcefully nudged Brûlée's side with her elbow, making the purplette yelp. 

Mumbling something incoherent under her breath, Brûlée rubbed her aching ribs as she glared at her sister from the corner of her eyes.

"By the way," Smoothie shifted her attention from side-eyeing her sister to you, "where is Katakuri-nii-san?" The comment immediately dropped the scowl that had wrinkled your features after learning why Perospero had stopped training with you, and your eyes wandered over to take a glance at the castle in the distance.

"Apparently, he has some 'important business meeting' he must attend to with some of your siblings," you mumbled absentmindedly, your fingers mimicking the quotation marks as you rolled your eyes.