Love Bite

~ " 'cause I can see you, waiting down the hall from me. And I could see you up against the wall with me" ~

"Now, who can conjugate this word for me?"

My eyes droop almost shut, trying but failing to pay attention to Mrs. Avila's lecture. She paces the front of the room, her hands clasped expectantly in front of her. Everyone is either asleep, or about to be. Until...

"Miss, what's that on your neck?"

A boy in the front row calls out, startling me awake. My eyes widen and I hear Iris snort besides me. The boy in question, Daniel, seriously has the audacity to raise his hand during a lecture to ask Vera about a mark on her neck - obviously a hickey. It's not super noticeable unless you're looking for it, and her hair basically covers the spot. Still, I watch the boys up front snicker like they're children. Vera is dumbfounded as well, looking like a deer in headlights.

"Is that a hickey?" Iris whispers to me, struggling to contain laughter. I feel my heart beat in my ears and heat rush to my cheeks.

"I-I don't see what that has to do with the lesson," Vera says after she's gotten a hold of herself as well. Her face is obviously flushed and she tries to adjust her hair to hide the spot. The boy, Daniel, seems thoroughly entertained and I have to restrain myself from beating the daylight out of him. Vera makes eye contact with me for a split second, and if looks could kill I would be in a body bag right now.

"Nothing, I just didn't know teachers had sex lives.." he mutters the last part to his friend, who is holding back laughter. My eyes are still wide like I've seen a ghost, and I feel like I could vomit. I unintentionally grip my pencil hard enough to almost break it. The sheer knowledge that I'm the one who gave her that hickey and have been inside this woman - who is our teacher- in the past 24 hours, is enough to make me barf all over my desk.

"Excuse me?" Vera says in her most authoritative voice. The boy turns red like a tomato, and I can tell Vera wants to shout at him.

"Sorry miss," Daniel says, hiding his head. By now, Iris is snickering to herself, obviously amused.

"Detention after school," Vera simply says, before going back to her lesson unaffected. Daniel's friends laugh at him, and I do too a bit. I also smack Iris upside the head to get her to stop laughing.

"Ow!" Iris whispers, holding her head. "I just think it's funny that even Mrs. Avila is getting some and I'm not! Also, didn't she just go through a divorce? I want to meet this rebound man, especially since he appears to be a vampire. That's a serious hickey."

"Oh my god Iris. Shut up, who cares," I whisper back.

"You're the gay one, aren't you jealous that she's taken again?" Iris says. I try to hold back a guffaw. Oh honey if only you knew....

"Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I'm in love with her!" I whisper yell. "Now fuck off I'm trying to learn!"

"Okay are we done?! Or do I need to start sending people into the hallway?" Vera shouts, directed at Iris and I. "You guys are supposed to be seniors yet you're acting like 6th graders. Daniel, try paying attention and maybe you'll actually pass the next test. There's a first time for everything."

Daniel's friends cackle, as they should.

"Aria was talking too!" Daniel whines.

"You're the one who disrupted my lesson. Would you like another detention?"

"No ma'am," he sighs.

I can't help but laugh, same as all the other students. She cleared his ass. I can see his ears turning red all the way from my seat.