I've Got a Bat With Your Name on It

~ "she's a, she's a lady. and i am just a boy" ~

I am unfortunately awoken from my nap by someone relentlessly banging on my front door. I tried to pull a pillow over my head, but I can still fucking hear it. I dramatically groan before rolling out of my bed and sliding into sweatpants. It was a longgg day at school and I really wish I was still in Seattle, dodging academics.

"Who the fuck is it!?" I shout as I go downstairs. I know my mother isn't here, because when she interrupted my time with Vera to have a conversation with me, she let me know she was headed out of town again. No surprise, but at least she's leaving while we're on good terms this time.

I yawn while I grab my wooden baseball bat from the hall closet, and swing it over my shoulder. I rub my eyes with my free hand, trying to rid the sleep from my body.

"Oh my god!" I exclaim, as the knocking hasn't stopped. We don't really live in a bad neighborhood, but I used to live in a sketchy apartment downtown before mom got her big girl job, and old habits die hard.

I finally open the door and say, "I've got a fucking bat with your name on it pal, and I ain't scared of a little jail ti-" my words die in my throat when I see Vera standing at my door with her arms crossed and a stupid smirk on her lips. I pause before slowly moving the bat to be hidden behind my back. I give her a pained smile, pretending I wasn't just going to beat the shit out of her with my old softball bat.

Vera chuckles and tucks a strand of auburn hair behind her ear.

"How can I help you Mrs. Avila?" I say. She just rolls her eyes.

"Listen, I need to have a conversation with you, do you want to go get a coffee?" Vera says almost nervously. I hesitate, before agreeing and excusing myself to go put some real pants on before I join her.

Once I have jeans on, I go downstairs and grab my house keys. Vera is waiting on my porch as I close the door behind me.

"Can I drive?" I ask as we walk to her car.

"Ha! No."

"Pleaseeee! I know how! I just haven't had time to take the license test or whatever" I plead. Vera still doesn't take me seriously.

"I'd rather take my chances letting Haven drive, thank you very much."

"Vera! I'm legally an adult and the coffee shop is two blocks away" I say. She stops walking for a minute, before groaning and reluctantly handing me the keys to her Ford Explorer. I squeal and jump up and down, before dashing to the drivers side and getting settled. Vera drudgingly walks to the passenger side and gets in. I start the engine and watch her start doing the sign of the cross and mumbling Hail Mary. I roll my eyes and back out of her driveway.

Lover by Taylor Swift plays softly on the radio, and the crisp fall air breezes in through the windows. Vera and I sort of have an almost unspoken agreement to just not discuss our feelings for each other and our little moment the other day.

"How are you doing over there pal?" I mock as I look over to see her looking terrified. I have no clue why she's so scared, I'm a perfectly capable driver-

"Curb!" Vera exclaims as I make a sharp right turn and go over a curb a little bit. Oops. "I knew this was an awful idea."

Once we safely make it to the coffee shop and Vera bans me from driving ever again, we go inside and order.

We sit at a little window booth and sip our coffees, while my heart races in my chest with anticipation.

"What's this about Vera?"