Chapter 14 - Broken Promise

Previously, on the Reverse 1999, Chapter 13:

INSERT SOUNDTRACK: Sotheby's Mansion | Reverse: 1999

False hope might be deceiving. Making a false hope in someone's mind who truly believes that everything will be fine in their life is a necessary evil, to those who fail to acknowledge what they lack, those who are oblivious to the challenges that await them, those with blind eyes to the impending danger and those who still live in their fantasy. False hope is necessary to distract them with something to look forward to. Vertin knew that Y/N would always come back, and she was always looking forward to seeing Y/N again. She trusted Y/N with her life and her heart, and she knew that Y/N would never let her down. Y/N promised Vertin that he would return, and she waits with bated breath and a burning desire to see him again. 

She looks forward to his return, craving his company and comfort. She longs for the sweet caress of his touch and can hardly wait for that moment to arrive. She misses him deeply and is filled with hope that he will, indeed, return as he has promised. Vertin was counting down the minutes and seconds until she could see Y/N again, and she would never forget the moment when she first laid eyes on Y/N. Their friendship was built on trust, and Vertin was thankful for every day that Y/N was in her life.

Imagine Vertin and Y/N having a happy ending. Imagine them walking through the field together, hands held tightly and laughing together. Imagine them lying under the night sky, stargazing. Imagine them having a warm, comforting hug after a day full of fun and adventures. Imagine them with their heads leaning on each other, their eyes closed, and their hearts beating in unison with warmth and happiness. Imagine them in a perfect world with no worries, no stress, no storm, no brainwashing, nothing but the two of them

Unfortunately, sometimes a happy ending can be just a fantasy in one's mind. Although Y/N promised to come back, he was forced by the storm to break that promise. Despite his best efforts, circumstances were out of his control. He had no choice but to leave Vertin and abandon her. The storm caused him to make a heartbreaking choice between staying with Vertin and dying or facing the storm alone. In the end, Y/N had to make a painful decision that would change their lives forever. All he could do now was hope that their paths would never cross again one day. Maybe.

It is called a Broken Promise for a reason. The title alludes to the fact that Y/N was forced by the storm to break his promise to return to Vertin. The title serves as a reminder of the difficult choices and sacrifices that Y/N had to make, the pain and sorrow of abandoning his friend, and the potential loss of a happy ending. He realized that nothing could be taken for granted for as long as the storm continued to rage on. The breaking of a promise is a heavy burden to carry, but it's a necessary consequence of the storm. Y/N was aware that the Storm was brainwashing everyone and causing some kind of amnesia. The Storm Syndrome was no joke - it would erase him from everyone's memory and make him invisible to the world. Y/N knew that he would be forgotten, despite his best efforts to resist the brainwashing. The Storm was harder than the previous Storms in other eras, and its effects were irreversible. Y/N was powerless to fight this kind of Storm, and he was forced to accept his fate. All he could do now was surrender to the Storm's power and hope for a better future.

False Hope was extremely effective, potent, and deceptive, and it managed to fool almost everyone. and made everyone believe that everything was gonna be fine, including Vertin. Y/N did it not only to buy himself time but also to keep everyone calm and reassure them that he would come back as promised. Vertin believed him wholeheartedly, and he wanted to make sure that she didn't worry about him while he was away. Y/N didn't want her to suffer from the stress of waiting for him. He wanted to keep her happy and at peace until he could return back to her, so he could say his final wish and goodbye. Dangers lurking just outside of the illusion. For a while, everyone was content and happy. But little did they know that the storm was approaching closer than they thought.