Visitors

After a few hours, our hunting session concluded, and we began the journey back to the city.

Nothing extraordinary happened during the hunt. The goblins carefully performed their task of gathering enough food for the city's residents. They were more meticulous than usual, perhaps due to the awareness that their Lord, or I, was observing their progress. Anyway, after securing what we needed, we swiftly made our way back, and I didn't have to intervene much.

However, as we were heading back, I sensed a clash of energies. I immediately signaled the other hobgoblins to exercise caution, urging them to follow me without making any careless moves, using the Skill: "Thought Communication"—an innate ability inherited from Direwolves, which most of them gained after evolving.

Approaching the origin of the energy clash, I detected multiple presences.

Four humans and a variety of monsters.

Hmm... Quite intriguing.

As the unfolding scene came into focus, I noticed a slender woman engaged in combat with a giant poisonous spider.

Those spiders resembled the Arachnids that tended to be quite poisonous back in my world. Well, the only difference would be that, this time, these spiders were as big as a small house or a cottage.

Behind the woman, three individuals struggled to fend off other arachnids.

However, the woman appeared to be in dire straits.

Her conditions didn't look good.

Her breathing was labored and unstable; she was clearly exhausted.

She began to stumble, and finally, it seemed her legs had given up as she knelt toward the ground. She used her slim sword, more like a rapier, to support herself from falling. Her body had reached its limits.

This begged the question—what were they even thinking coming to 'this place' in their sorry state?

Did they forget this was the Great Forest of Jura or something?

'Cause, Whether or not Veldora was present, this was still the same forest crawling with powerful monsters. And To be honest, Veldora's presence was doing more good than bad by keeping everything in the forest in check. So, if they really thought this forest was now a good place to visit for a field trip, they were dead wrong.

The forest is in a frenzy state more than ever.

Yes, we haven't been attacked yet, but that was just a matter of time. The incident with the direwolves was a great example of that.

If I hadn't been involved with the goblins to this extent, I'm sure I wouldn't even notice if the goblins went extinct. It's just a matter of where you put your attention and by how much.

Anyways, I don't know what these guys are doing here, but they are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Now then, what should I do?

Should I lend them a hand?

Despite all the cautionary talks and warnings against getting involved, my human side still harbored a soft spot. I couldn't help but ask myself, what harm could possibly come from assisting these individuals in their time of need? In my world, such an act might be deemed a noble deed, but alas, I wasn't there, and this meant things could go wrong very fast.

But, in the end, after all the internal debates, assessments, and introspective monologues, the decision to help had already crystallized within me. Even if they turned out to be a threat—mere opportunistic mob villains driven by greed—I was prepared to deal with them promptly. The distinction between common thugs and the so-called chain villains held no significance; my resolve remains unyielding.

I signaled the goblins to take a step back and remain concealed until further notice. While I alone could handle these colossal insects, there was an additional rationale for my solo approach.

Because, As I got closer and closer, something weird and frankly impossible caught my attention.

At first, I brushed it off as superstition—like, come on, who wouldn't? What were the odds of stumbling upon 'that' exact person?

Well, whatever the reason, the earlier hesitation had evaporated entirely.

And It was time to verify whether my perceptions were a product of overthinking or an undeniable reality.

I'll check what they came here for later. First of all, let's save her.

I rushed towards the women who was moments away from her danger.

Crap, I won't make it. What should I do?

<Answer: You can use the Extra Skill: Black Lightning.>

Right on que, Great Sage. Thanks.

"Get Down"

As I shout that towards her, I or Great Sage readies the spell, and just when the spider was about to plunge forwards towards the woman, I fired the spell Black Lightning towards the spider. But....

Booooom!

Crackle~

!?

What the....

Damn it. It was too strong.

In the moment of excitement, it seems I forgot to check whether the spell was lethal or not. I mean, how could I even know? It's not my fault, okay...

Shit. I hope the spell didn't hit her

I leapt forward immediately towards the woman in front of the spider, which was just charred to death from my spell.

I was worried about the spell hitting her too, but before I reach her, a white object fell on me. It was a mask with an interesting pattern woven into it and a red gem in the middle of it. I didn't give it much thought and kept it on my body and moved forward. The women finally came into my view after the smoke cleared up.

!?

I knew it.

I wasn't imagining it.

She is the one.

The one I saw on the crystal orb. My fated One.

***