Alone

The child was lost in her despair. What could she possibly hope to achieve, considering her frail condition? Revenge against the direwolves seemed like an impossible dream, especially when she could barely muster the strength to walk. Even worse, the direwolves she despised had been utterly vanquished by a powerful lord, the very one they had pledged their loyalty to – Lord Rimuru.

As she wallowed in her thoughts of hopelessness, something suddenly dropped in front of her face, startling her out of her reverie. She looked up in amazement at the unexpected appearance of a strange creature. The being that stood before the child was like nothing she had ever encountered – a slime.

"Y-you... you're the companion of Lord Rimuru." she stammered, her voice filled with astonishment.

It was Hiiro who had leaped into her path. He had never bothered introducing himself to anyone, as he had little interest in such formalities. There had never been a need for introductions until this moment. He remained perpetually at Rimuru's side, issuing commands and guidance when necessary, but few knew anything about him. In his smaller and bluish opaque form, he appeared distinctly different from Lord Rimuru, which only added to the child's surprise.

As the child stared at Hiiro, her curiosity growing, the enigmatic creature drew closer. With a gentle and deliberate motion, he sprinkled something over her battered body. The girl initially felt a sense of confusion, wondering what he was doing. However, the purpose behind his actions soon became clear as she felt a warm, soothing sensation envelop her.

Her wounds began to heal rapidly, leaving behind no traces of pain or suffering. Hiiro meticulously examined the results of his work, ensuring that no injuries remained. The child watched in amazement, her gratitude swelling as the pain she had endured for so long faded away.

Hiiro had been keeping a watchful eye on her since the moment they had crossed paths. His keen observations had revealed that she was a newcomer to the village, and something about her situation had tugged at his innate sense of responsibility. Though he couldn't quite articulate his reasons, he knew deep down that this child carried a heavy burden of sorrow, loneliness, and regret.

Even without a full understanding of the complexities of mental health, Hiiro instinctively grasped the detrimental effects of profound loneliness and regret. He himself had experienced the crushing weight of solitude before encountering Rimuru. In times like these, the mere presence of another person could offer solace and healing, even if he couldn't fully articulate why.

Hiiro refused to stand idly by and allow this child to suffer alone under the weight of her burdens.

However, a significant problem loomed before him—communication. Unlike Rimuru, who possessed the ability to speak and understand languages, Hiiro lacked this capability. While he could mimic the glands responsible for vocalization using his Skill: Clone, there was a more profound issue at hand. Rimuru, as a former human with over 30 years of experience interacting with various beings, possessed the knowledge and skills necessary for effective communication. In contrast, Hiiro was scarcely a year old and had no experience in dealing with others, let alone consoling them.

Although he had the means to create sounds, he found himself utterly at a loss when it came to knowing what to say. He was akin to an introvert who had never ventured into the outside world. So, he resorted to the only means of caring for someone that he understood. Hiiro gingerly approached the child and began rubbing his body against her cheeks. The sensation elicited giggles from the girl, as if she were being tickled. Eventually, he settled onto her lap.

The child quickly grasped the purpose behind his actions and wrapped her arms around Hiiro's form, holding him like a cherished pillow.

"...Are you trying to comfort me?" she ventured to ask, though she already knew the answer.

Hiiro offered no verbal response, but his presence conveyed the affirmative.

The girl looked down at the small, mysterious creature nestled in her arms and whispered softly, "...Thank you."

As Hiiro remained in her embrace, he detected a faint sound, akin to quiet sobbing. He stayed there with her for a prolonged moment until the child began to speak.

"...My mom and dad died because of me."

Her voice trembled with emotion as she recounted the harrowing tale of her village's attack, her parents' tragic demise, and her subsequent arrival in this unfamiliar village as the lone survivor.

".....if only I was strong."