City's Structure

That would have left their jaws hanging in shock and create many unnecessary situations, that I wanted to avoid at the moment. So, I just skillfully dodged his question.

In truth though, having more than 500 Hobgoblins at my disposal allowed me to come up with various unique and advanced ideas that were very difficult to replicate in this world.

Concepts like sewer systems, integrated road and building layouts, drainage systems, and even a proper drinking water system.

These ideas had to be carefully thought out and implemented from the very beginning of construction; otherwise, you'd end up having to dismantle most of the city to install them if planned poorly.

This was a very common mistake in the developing areas. They did this to lower the budget but when this systems had to be installed in the future one way or another, the cost would sky-rocket more from the overall initial budget altogether.

For someone like me, who had been reincarnated with knowledge of modern city planning, these ideas were common sense.

However, I realized that they might appear as something truly extraordinary to the people of this world. Initially, this plan was challenging due to the lack of manpower, but with the addition of the new groups that had joined us and subsequently evolved into Hobgoblins, it became a feasible undertaking.

It would still require an enormous amount of time and focus to see visible results, but in the end, it would be well worth the effort we put into it.

My vision was to build a circular city. In official terms, it's called The Radial City Plan or something along those lines.

The central area would house the most important facilities, and everything would flow outward from there, in grids or some systematic way that would allow for a smooth flow of traffic.

It was quite the ambitious plan, if I say so myself. We had a tremendous amount of work ahead of us to bring that vision even a few percentage points closer to completion.

...

And after discussing few other things with the dwarves for a while, I returned to a particular location.

I didn't need to check on anyone because no one was even contemplating slacking off. In fact, everyone was overjoyed at the prospect of building a city, where they would belong to and so, their spirits were high.

Well, almost everyone except for a small group of very tiny individuals who couldn't assist with the construction and didn't fully grasp what had everyone so thrilled.

Yes, I'm talking about the kids. If I were their age, I would probably be bored as well, staying and playing in a confined area, but we didn't have much of a choice.

No one had the luxury of dedicated time to watch over them, as everyone was contributing to the construction in some capacity.

After their parents insisted repeatedly, I couldn't bring myself to turn them away, so the kids had to entertain themselves for the most part.

Well, at least a few of the mothers took turns watching over them and ensuring they were fed and were taken care of, but the children were still upset that they couldn't join the adults outside, where the trees were being felled, the ground was being dug, and various potentially dangerous tasks were being carried out.

So, no matter how upset they were, going outside was a big no-no.

Right now, we were in unfamiliar territory, and who knew if something unknown might emerge from the jungle, snatch one of them, tear them apart, and devour them whole while no one was looking?

Or at least, that's the embellished version of the story we told the kids.

Although, I had toned it down quite a bit when explaining it to them, but the gist remained the same: staying within the shelter Myrd had created for them was for their safety.

It was a temporary structure, so comfort was not its main selling point; it was designed to keep them safe, and it excelled in that regard.

However, to ensure they didn't venture into the jungle unnoticed by their parents, I had to resort to a downgraded version of a bedtime story from my previous world.

It was similar to the old tales of monsters under the bed that would come out to get you if you didn't sleep on time or something like that.

Now, someone might ask, "What if there really are monsters like that in the forest?"

A fair question, indeed.

Well, we were currently near Veldora's cave. Even though the dragon himself had disappeared, the immense and intimidating amount of aura that had settled there over hundreds of years had not.

Most of the less intelligent monsters in the area simply believed that there was an exceedingly powerful monster in the vicinity and steered clear at all costs.

And If a formidable monster with the audacity and the willpower, did happen to approach, I would sense it well before it got anywhere near this place. Or rather the vicinity of this area.

So, as long as the kids stayed here, they would remain unharmed. It was like a natural barrier of sorts.

***