Dwarves & Exiled

The King suddenly addressed Kaijin and even inquired whether he had any intention of returning to his former military position, leaving Vesta utterly bewildered.

Kaijin, without hesitation, declined the offer and declared me as his master, which kinda filled me with delight.

It appeared that the King possessed the authority to alter the initial sentence handed down by the judge. And Instead of condemning us to years of labor in the mines, he chose to exile us from the country permanently.

Yes, permanent exile, like never to return-exile.

But hey, I was quite pleased with this turn of events.

This act by the King was most likely his last show of consideration and faith toward his once-loyal subject, Kaijin. I was sure Kaijin recognized this, as he cried the entire time after speaking to the King.

Was this the reason why Kaijin had been confident in not defending against those baseless accusations during the trial? Probably not.

He might have been planning 'some' course of action for after we were sentenced to the mines or something but I'm sure he wasn't expecting this.

And immediately after our release, we found ourselves outside the gates of the Dwargen Nation.

Most of the nation was situated underground, which explained its formidable defenses that had remained impregnable for a millennium.

I was seeing that for the second time but still..

The gates were massive. Like Gigantic..

In fact, they were so huge that people used a smaller gate built within the larger one.

The enormous gate was only opened when the King himself was on the move or for a monarch of a nation in close alliance with Dwargen.

It was a pretty impressive sight, I must say.

Upon exiting the nation, we reunited with Rigur and the others, who had been waiting for us at the edge of the forest.

It probably felt like no time had passed for them since I had left less than 24 hours ago, but I had completed my mission, and that was all that mattered. I explained the situation to Rigur and the other hobgoblins, and they were very shocked when I told them about the trial we had gone through just before returning.

It had been a bit of a close call for a moment there, but we managed to escape relatively unscathed.

Of course, I couldn't exactly share the full details with the others, now could I?

"It all pretty much went according to my expectations,"

"Hahaha..."

I boasted to the hobgoblins who regarded me with admiration.

"I'm relieved you're unharmed, but still, to put you on trial..." Rigur replied, wearing a worried expression.

"It seemed like I got off pretty lightly for good behavior, He-he" I quipped, downplaying the seriousness of the situation.

However, I had a more important task at hand.

"Ah! Let me introduce you guys. This is a weaponsmas—Um!? Hello? Kaijin? What's wrong?"

"Perhaps he's startled by the Tempest Wolves?" Rigur suggested.

"Oh! That makes sense."

I was in the middle of introducing Kaijin and the others to Rigur and the hobgoblins, but it seemed there was another issue that needed addressing. Kaijin and his fellow dwarves were frozen in fear at the sight of the ferocious and intimidating Tempest Wolves.

I often mixed up their names, but after their evolution, they had become known as Tempest Wolves, living up to their name with incredible speed.

Both the hobgoblins and I had nearly fallen off the wolves multiple times during our journey. I, in particular, had to use strings to secure myself while riding Ranga, which made this swift travel possible.

Despite the dwarves' current state of shock, I continued with my introductions.

"You've already heard this, but his name is Kaijin, a weapon master,"

I pointed towards the still-shaken Kaijin and then moved on to introduce the three dwarf brothers.

"This is Garm, the eldest of the three brothers and a highly skilled armorsmith. Next is Dord, a fine craftsman, and finally, Myrd, the youngest, who is skilled in construction and art."

We engaged in conversation for a few moments until the dwarves began to regain their composure and ease up a bit.

But I couldn't shake the feeling that I was forgetting something.

It nagged at the corners of my mind, but I dismissed it as unimportant.

Just my mind playing tricks on me.

As I was about to put that feeling aside and prepare to mount Ranga for our journey back to the village, I heard a voice filled with terror.

"HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?"

Ah, that's right. Now I remember. It was Gobta. No wonder it had been strangely quiet.

Gobta was riding one of the Tempest Wolves and approaching us with tears in his eyes.