The Kind Slime

Hope and despair, fear and faith, joy and sadness—these conflicting emotions played across their faces.

But the Lord's future decision was not their immediate concern.

At present, they were homeless. If their situation had unfolded near a city, where guards patrolled and offered protection, it might have been manageable.

However, the Great Forest of Jura, in which they found themselves, was renowned throughout the world for its ferocity. Even monsters within the forest lived under the constant threat of extinction at the hands of their fellow creatures. In this perilous place, they were without a home.

Returning to their destroyed village, only to venture back here after several days of travel, would be akin to a death sentence. Many would fall prey to the forest's monsters, some would succumb to starvation, and others would die defending their families.

The goblins began to realize the gravity of their situation, and despair slowly crept into their expressions. Sobs and cries emerged from the crowd, yet none dared to move, for they had not been granted permission to do so.

Even Rigurd, who had once been in a similar predicament, couldn't find a solution to save them. Welcoming a group of 500 newcomers into their village was out of the question. They had their own children and families to consider, and it had been a short time since their battle with the Direwolves, leaving them with no extra housing, clothing, or other necessities.

Assisting an outside group was a wishful thought, and Rigurd seemed to have recognized the direness of the situation, as his face etched with despair.

It wasn't very difficult to imagine what would happen next.

The group had no choice but to return to the harsh jungle where death lurked around every corner.

Just because a powerful protector was present didn't mean they could jeopardize the entire village by admitting a group larger than their own. In such situations, chaos, infighting, and conflicts would inevitably arise.

Amidst the scarcity of basic necessities, offering false hope would be futile. This was the harsh reality.

However, death would not claim this group today, for there was a being who, despite his intimidating aura, was kind to a fault.

Rimuru understood this well, which was why he had entrusted Hiiro with the role of Second-in-Charge without hesitation. Even the native goblins in the village were unaware of the gentleness hidden beneath Hiiro's imposing exterior.

But how could they know? The one in question himself was unaware of the warmth within his heart. No matter how majestic he appeared or how commanding his voice, he was a newborn who had barely seen a year of existence.

Sigh~

With a deep sigh that resonated with all present, time passed on.

Rigurd braced himself for the worst, anticipating bloodshed. The goblin group shared the same grim expectations. Mothers clung tightly to their children, and sobs reverberated through the air. Their eyes, now filled with despair, awaited their inevitable fate.

And Yet, as time ticked away, no blood was spilled, and no screams pierced the air. Instead, they heard a voice, devoid of malice but filled with orders that promised their continued existence.

"...Rigurd."

" Yes, Sir Hiiro? "

"...Tell the Hunting Group to find as much food as possible and summon every other group here, except for the Defense and Scouting Units."

Surprised by the sudden and rapid orders, Rigurd was momentarily speechless, but he quickly sprang into action after acknowledging Hiiro's command.

"I will obey."

With a bow to Hiiro, he hastened away to carry out the orders.

The goblins observed Hiiro with surprise as he turned his attention toward them.

"..Rise."

As soon as he uttered those words, the oppressive aura that had kept them pinned down dissipated, allowing them to move freely once more. Though still skeptical, the goblins obeyed and stood up as they had been instructed.

"...While I may not have the authority to admit you inside the village, I can grant you permission to stay in the vicinity and offer protection till the lord returns."