Twenty Nine

I don't know how long I stand leaning against the fence but when I turn around Axel has set a blanket down on the dock and I see him setting up what looks like an already made charcuterie board

As I walk closer I notice two wine glasses and a bottle of red on the right, a smile finds its way onto my lips.

"This place is beautiful." I say lowering myself down onto the blanket crossing my legs. "How did you find it?"

He grabs a plastic container from the basket and opens it revealing various fruits— strawberries, sliced watermelon, grapes and cubed pineapple.

"When my grandpa died back in February, I went for a drive to clear my head and I ended up here." He replies.

"I'm sorry."

I remember how devastated he was when his grandpa passed, he had wanted me around way more than usual— it got to the point where I told him sex isn't going to make him forget and I'm not going to be the person to make him forget.

I had experienced it when my grandma passed away, I used sex as a coping mechanism and when it finally hit me that she passed I felt disgusted in myself for trying to forget instead of being a woman about it and accepting the fact she was gone.

He basically told me to fuck off— I did exactly that and he texted me a couple weeks later apologising saying I was right and he acted like a dick and to go back over there when I was ready.

"I heard you once mention how you loved watching the sun set." He grabs a wine glass and begins pouring the red liquid into it. "And I've never experienced a better sunset than here."

My stomach does that twirling thing again.

He remembered that I liked watching the sunset?

I brought that up to one time around him— it was late June and I was at his house watching the sunset from his bedroom window. I remember saying ugh I love watching the sun set, but I was mainly speaking to myself not realising he was listening.

My chest tightens and my heart beats faster.

Pitta patta.

Pitta patta.

"You remembered that?" I say shock evident in my voice.

"I remember more than you think." He smiles as he hands over the half filled glass on wine.

I thank him taking the glass from his hand and taking a sip as he continues putting the last pieces of food on the board and when he brings out a giant bag of Reece's pieces my heart explodes.

He remembered they were my favourite chocolate?

I remember more than you think...

My stomach does that twirling thing again.