Fifteen

Wednesday nights always equals girls night

It was the second semester of freshman year that the girls and I decided we'd dedicate Wednesday nights for girls night and the only way you'll be getting out of it is if you were six foot under, practically dying or visiting family.

Our night consisted of wearing matching pyjamas, grabbing my grandmas cookbook and attempting to make something from it— it was mainly me making the food because the other three were awful in the kitchen, one time Lilly almost burnt the kitchen down making toast and we banned her from cooking unless supervised.

We'd drink wine until we pass out, play games, watch sappy romance movies and judge them— sometimes even cry at them but we blame it all on the wine.

Mostly importantly, we enjoy each others company and have fun.

"So my darling Ava, what's on the agenda for dinner tonight?" Lilly asks walking into the kitchen.

"Payton and Nina got the ingredients to make pasta and meatballs." I say.

"Ooo I love your grandmas meatball recipe!" She jumps up and down clapping her hands.

I laugh at her as i grab all the seasoning we'll be needing from the cupboard and place it on the table so Payton and Lilly can do the meatballs whilst Nina and I make the homemade pasta.

Grandmas meatball recipe was the easiest thing in her cook book and hands down one of the best dishes in there, when she was alive I'd beg her to make them practically every single day but she never did, she wanted me to try new things so I didn't end up being that person who ordered chicken tenders and fries at a restaurant— jokes on you grandma, I order exactly that.

Although I'm not a picky eater at all, I'm all down for trying new things— except seafood. I can not stand the smell of fish, it makes me physically sick.

"Where's the music?" Payton asks coming into the kitchen.

I connect my phone to the speaker and put on our Wednesday night playlist, the music comes floating through the speaker as Nina comes into the kitchen too.

"Baby girls, I have the wine!" She holds up a bag that clinks.

Setting it on the kitchen counter, she brings out six bottles of red wine. Ok, we're getting fucked tonight I guess, I'm so thankful I don't have a class until two pm tomorrow and even more thankful that it's the only one I have.

"So who's doing what?" Payton asks me as she grabs the aprons from behind the kitchen door.

"Nina and I are doing the pasta and you two are doing the meatballs and the sauce." I explain.