36. 'Right, we're getting married' - Alena Romanoff-Rogers

Credit to Lizzylikes1d for the character of Alena, and her original one-shot 'On the Run' from the book 'My little light'. Brilliant book and author by the way!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alena, keep your head down," mom murmured to me.

"да," I replied. (yes)

"Number one rule of being on the run, don't run, walk," mom said to dad.

"And just don't look conspicuous," I added. 

I let my ginger hair fall in front of my face as I walked quickly through the crowds at the mall. Only Fury knew I was Natasha and Steve's daughter, and he was dead, but with HYDRA around we couldn't be any more careful. We turned into a computer store, quickly walking to the nearest laptop. Dad gently moved me to mom's right side, whilst he stood on her left, helping her.

"How long have we got?" dad asked.

"The USB has a honing system. S.H.I.E.L.D will know where we are as soon as I plug this in," mom replied.

I stood, looking around and keeping an eye out for anyone.

"About nine minutes from..." I heard a click. "Now."

I checked the time on my wrist watch and counted nine minutes, before looking back up. For a few minutes, mom and dad were busy trying to find the location of a base.

"The code is re-written to change whenever I try decrypt it," I heard mom mutter with a hint of annoyance in her voice.

"Can you get through?" dad asked.

"The person who wrote this is slightly smarter than me," mom replied.

With a shrug of one shoulder that I caught out of the corner of my eye, she added, "Slightly."

I let a small smirk slip on my face. Mom never liked admitting things, not even to her husband. Suddenly, I saw someone.

"Mama, to your left," I muttered, but I was too slow.

"Hey, do you need any help?" the shop worker asked my parents.

"Oh, no, we're just looking for some honeymoon destinations," mom said with a smile, putting her head on dad's shoulder.

I stood to the side, watching the conversation whilst keeping an eye out for HYDRA.

"Right," dad replied with a wry smile. "We're getting married."

I turned a laugh into a cough. I saw mom send a quick glare at my dad for his very convincing response.

"Where are you thinking of going?" the man asked.

"Uh..." mom glanced towards the laptop.

The location was on the screen.

"New Jersey," I interjected quickly.

"Oh... Well, just ask if you need anything," the shop worker said, making the move to back off.

However, he suddenly gasped. I felt my heart skip a beat. Shit, what had we done wrong?

"I have the exact same glasses as you," the man gasped with a grin.

"Wow, you two are practically twins," mom said with a smirk, turning back to the laptop.

I giggled, getting a quiet, "Alena, hush!" from my mom.

"Извини," I muttered. (sorry)

Finally, the store man left us.

"Dad, what the fuck was that?" I asked with a laugh.

"I didn't know what to say," dad replied. "Also, Alena, watch your language!"

I chuckled, murmuring too quietly for anyone to hear, "Damn, he's such an oldie."

"Yeah well, thankfully that guy's thick," mom said.

Raising my eyebrows playfully, I jeered, "You sounded so depressed."

"Who?" mom asked.

"Both of you."

"Alena, seriously?" dad asked with a stern stare.

"Yep," I said with a smile.

"свет, I love you, but don't be so rude," mom told me, smiling at me. (light)

"Yes мама," I replied.

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the black suits of the HYDRA agents. The shoulders were adorned with S.H.I.E.L.D logos - logos traitors like those didn't deserve.

"мама, they're here," I warned over.

Mom nodded, her fingers flying over the keys.

"I thought you said nine minutes!" dad hissed to mom. "We can't get caught!"

He looked at me briefly.

"We can't risk Alena."

Mom pulled the USB out of the laptop quickly, saying, "Got the location, come on."