CHAPTER-13: The Kingpin Strikes Back

THIRD-PERSON POV:

Location: Fisk's Penthouse

Vanessa Fisk, Wilson's dying wife; her once vibrant eyes now dimmed by illness, lay with a quiet dignity that masked the pain etched on her delicate features, a silent witness to the complex tapestry of their shared history. Her frail form, once a pillar of strength, whispered the inevitable farewell of a life well-lived. An IV drip attached to her arm, she lay unconscious on the bed. The Kingpin watched on with a melancholic look on his face.

"Mr. Fisk, the man who is 'auditioning' to be your-"

"Mr. Rose..." Fisk cuts off Rose. "I know you are new to this level of my operation, but we do not discuss business in front of my wife."

"Y-yes sir."

"This rule will not be broken again."

"Y-yes sir."

"She's an ill woman. There's no need to fill her head with our ugliness."

...

"What's your name, killer?" Fisk asks Moon Knight.

"Ronin."

"And what do you do, Ronin?"

"Whatever needs to be done. "

"Uh-huh, well, prove yourself."

Ronin single handedly takes out every single one of Fisk's guards one by one, and without any effort.

"Excuse me, that's not what I had in mind." Fisk says, unimpressed.

"Sorry."

"How did Mr. Ronin here check out?"

"It's all here. Mark Spector, ex-navy seal. Gulf War Super Soldier experiment gone wrong. He worked for Roxxon under the name 'Paladin' until Roxxon fell apart. He checked."

"Was Roxxon as big of an idiot as he seemed?" Fisk asks.

"I don't get paid to gossip, I don't get paid to talk."

"Good answer."

"So... Prove it how?"

"Spider-Man. Any Spider-Man would do. Wreck one of their lives and bring him here."

"You got an address?"

"Like I said, prove yourself."

...

Location: Midtown High

[MARY JANE WATSON, REPORTER.]

MARY JANE: ["The Spider-Men. Every day, these names echo through the walls of Mid-Town Highschool. The theory that the controversial masked web-slingers may either go to school here, or are on the faculty, does not go away. A few months ago, in this very alley, Eugene Thompson, now a sophomore at this high school, was abducted by mystery assailants, who mistook him for one of the Spider-Men.]