39: Keeping Her Hands Clean.

We're reaching the top of the bridge between Summer and Autumn; the change between hot and cold. Vibrancy dulls before returning at full force in bright orange and red hues as the weeks go by.

I love the different seasons, I really do, but I know for a fact that memories hit me more during this time of year compared to the warmer days.

I have a feeling it'll be more bearable this year though.

My toes touch the first step that reach up to my workplace. The place where I found a huge part of myself that went missing all through high school. If it weren't for Starlaxy, I'm not sure I would've honed into my sense of fashion, or my personal opinions, the way that I did. The friendships and connections I grew here is something I'll cherish forever.

I enjoyed every bit of this summer. But I cant lie, I missed working on some days. I know not everyone gets to say that, so I'm so grateful that I get to call this my workplace. It's the foundation of my job and passion.

Bright pink hair flies past my peripherals. "Noah, good to see you actually working again,"

It's also the foundation of my biggest problems right now.

"Nice to see you too, Cadence,"

I follow after her up the steps and obviously don't miss her scoff at my greeting. The fact that we used to be friends still boggles my mind. "Loved the photos they took of you by the way,"

She scans her card and continues her path to the elevators with me right on her heels. "Photos?"

"Yeah," a sarcastically duh tone to her voice, "you know— the ones that were floating around the internet of you and your... friends- literally all summer," she struts her way into an elevator going up and I wait for a separate one going down. "Hey, you know what they say: There's no such thing as bad publicity."The metal doors shut just after she winks my way with one of her sneers I missed oh-so-much.

I shake my head, choosing ignored the annoyance boiling in my chest. Not worth it.

"What if it's Cadence?" Lucy and I were talking about my interaction I had with her over lunch.

"Don't know... she's not our biggest fan, but she cares about her job a lot,"

I really don't think she would jeopardise her job here like that. "She's smarter than that," I see Lucy nod in thought beside me for a few seconds.

"Doesn't mean she's not the one pulling the strings..." we make our way into the studio we're working in today, nodding at a few familiar faces. "Keeping her hands clean,"

I mull over her words while we get our hair and makeup done. Even with the camera flashing in my face periodically throughout the afternoon my thoughts wander, my body moving on autopilot thankfully.

Various clothing items we're promoting today are being thrown off and tossed back onto me over and over again in a messy rhythm for each shoot. Even then, my thoughts continue to race.

I didn't even think about that.

Keeping her hands clean...

"It's possible..." Julian is making his way through the kitchen, sipping on the tea I made for us, the two of us waiting for the other two before starting dinner. "What do you think?"

I shrug, tapping my nails along the counter for a minute. "I just feel like it's not that... simple?" Or maybe it is and I'm just overthinking it.

"Let's say what Lucy is saying is true, that would mean she managed to get at least someone, if not someones, to work with her,"