Prologue: Who's he?

„Babe, I'm gonna be late again tonight!" Music and giggles come from the phone in the background as he speaks, sending an uneasy shudder through me.

„Oh, um, where are you?" My fingers absentmindedly start plucking at the small fuzzies on my soft socks.

„I told you- shhh!" he chuckles into the phone, completely disregarding how I'm perceiving things from my end. „I'm at a friend's house,"

„The same one as always?" I mutter.

„We talked about this, Noah..."

I hang up before I start screaming at him, deciding to calm my head before even thinking about speaking to my boyfriend right now.

I'm not even going to sugarcoat it for my own sake at this point; I'm fully aware of the high possibility that I'm currently being cheated on, but I have yet to confirm.

I don't want to deal with the whole drama of having to pull the truth out of him since I've been prioritizing my job applications at the moment. I also am still in the denial stage and refuse to believe that my partner of 5 years would ever even think of doing such a thing to me. We've been together since our last year of highschool, it really is a cliché love story that I won't even bother going into right now. I refuse to believe that the very person who has stuck by side all throughout college would do that to me.

It's been almost 2 hours since his call and I've been adamant on not even opening our chat out of pure determination. I sent out my applications and ate some dinner, leaving myself feeling rather accomplished by the time I finally plop into bed. I feel confident in most of my applications, especially the one that I sent to the same company I just completed my internship with.

After listening to the wind brushing past the curtains of our open window for an ample amount of time, I eventually let my eyes fall shut, barely registering the sound of the front door opening.

„We have to tell him..." That's the first sentence I stumbled upon when I hid behind the wall of our kitchen the next morning.

„I don't know if I'm ready," the familiar voice of my boyfriend, Tyler, makes blood rush to my cheeks out of annoyance. My heart that used to race whenever I simply saw him in the distance, now beating harshly at the sound of an unknown voice talking to Tyler.

„Tell me what?" My arms cross over one another as Tyler and his new ‚friend' sit by the kitchen counter, shock visibly noticeable in their wide eyes.

„Hi... Baby,"

I take another step forward, "tell. Me. What." I repeat.

"Why don't you take a seat?" He tries again, gesturing to his friend watching us carefully as he sips on some coffee in my mug. Yes, I'm possessive over the mug that literally has my name written around it. That was one of the first gifts I've received from the very man trying to get me to sit down at the kitchen island.

"Who is he?" My feet don't make a move towards them.

He clears his throat, seeming to finally understand that I don't want to sit with them at the moment. "This is Lucas, the friend I've been telling you about.

I take a moment to take in the friend who finally has a name, noting the hickey peeking out from his low v-neck. His blond hair ruffled carelessly around his head, somehow adding to his naturally cute features. His pouty lips look almost unnaturally red and even slightly swollen. I won't even try and deny his attractiveness, but I won't let that cloud my judgment. His hazel eyes seem to rack up and down my own body, but I shake it off, putting my focus back on my fidgeting boyfriend sitting across from Lucas.