27: Date Number Eight

If there's one thing my parents embedded into my brain, into my very personality, is the idea of always trying to see the good in the world.

Attracted to the negative things is almost a given in most cases these days with how the media portrays today's life on Earth. Whether it be modern social media, newspapers or everyday news channels; getting the biggest scoop on the latest drama is always top priority.

But, deep within the crevices of our minds, in between the posts of who got kissed and who's being kissed, there are other things. Things I try to put my energy towards.

Things that evoke smiles instead of tears and compliments instead of jealousy.

These things can come in many shapes and sizes. Whether it be the cutest animals ever, day in the lives of people from all over the world, food, aesthetics or nature. Things like that flood my social media pages because the last thing I want to look at during my breaks or the hour before I fall asleep within the comfort of my bedsheets is the drama ensuing behind closed doors of A-list celebrities.

Well, that, and this post of Cadence posing right in front of a spot I hold dear to my heart and calling it "her" café.

Call me selfish, but due to the whole drama going on in my own life right now with the whole possible public outing thing and our date happening tomorrow, I really don't want to be worrying about seeing a certain someone, who clearly despises me, in my safe space.

Even saying it to myself sounds very out-of-character for me, but I don't know how much more of her constant mockery I can take.

We don't even work in the same department anymore technically and she's already making a point to keep me on her radar. I'm at a breaking point with her and it's only a matter of time before she uses that to her advantage...

Come as it may, I can't exactly stop someone from entering a café, which is very open to the public.

"She's just trying to get under your skin," Lucy reminds me, her arm looping around my own as we walk around my new "office" space. It's more like a desk for me to put my things while I'm out and about doing... modeling things? I don't even know what to call my own occupation anymore.

I'm a mess.

"Yes, and it's working, Lucy..." she knows as well as anyone else how much I value the peace and quiet that place offers me. Or rather than the place, it's the people in the café I'm kind of gatekeeping...

"Well, don't let it work," she pulls me back, stopping us in our tracks. "You're letting her drain your energy and she isn't even here," she scolds.

I know... she's right. This is getting laughable.

"Come on, tell me about your date," she tugs us forward again, "what are you gonna wear?" she bounces on her heels, biting her lip with excitement and for a moment all of my previous worries dissipates.

Being with her like this always brings me back to a year ago. The two newbies of the company bonding over a plate of chocolate and shameful tears whenever we felt like we didn't do our jobs right in front of our superiors.

That one shirt you insisted I get the other day..."

I hear her let out a gasp and my eyes strain to remain looking at the floor, "I was so hoping you'd say that!"

This is the first ever date I'll be going on since Tyler. I haven't gotten to know anyone else this intimately with Lucas being somewhat of an exception. We were highschool sweethearts after all, so neither of us really explored anything or anyone outside of our bubble until we broke up...