Chapter Sixty-One: Only One Way to Find Out

My instant reaction should have been to slam the door shut.

But I stared at Kate instead.

Her smile widens as she peeked behind my shoulder, overlooking my pathetic and shameful attempt to hide Jayden and Austin by moving myself to the left.

"Hello, boys! You look new." She pointed at Austin. "On normal circumstances I would've taken your number but tell me... what has the infamous Evelyn Joan doing with... you two?"

She smiled evilly. 

"You haven't been doing anything weird in there, have you?"

"I'm surprised she knows how to use correct grammar." Austin murmured right behind me.

I took a deep breath and pressed my lips together. "So you got us."

"Oh not just you," she shook her head. "I got all of you."

My brain took a second to realize what she'd said and my heart dropped. "...What?"

"Yup." She triumphantly emphasized. "Do you think I'm an idiot? I know everything about everyone in this school and enough to know that this guy (she points at Austin), the one that just left and the blondie doesn't go here."

Jayden stepped forward this time and my heart beat in my ear weirdly as if I was having a heart attack and was being deaf at the same time.

"Look, Kate," he said, rubbing his forehead. "This looks bad, and I really don't have to say anything for myself except that we wouldn't have done it if we weren't desperate."

"And that is supposed to make me stop going to the principal?"

"Just," he looked at her. "Stay out of it..."

When she gave her a hard calculating look, Jayden sighed.

"Please."

She squinted her eyes, as if actually considering all of it but knowing Kate for years, I knew it wouldn't come easy... if anything, it would be impossible. And of course she didn't. 

Her chin raised. "You know what? I won't."

"Fuck," Jayden sighed and tapped his forehead on the doorway. 

Kate's grin widened. "Now then, care to join me to a walk to the principals office?"

Austin out his hands up. "Let me stay out of this, I don't even go to this school."

She sneered. "That's more of a reason for you to come with me. You know you deserve this."

Austin pouted and turned to me. "Shorts I'm too drunk for this can I go?"

I wanted to slap his mouth shut for good because he was making it more difficult than it was needed to be.

Kate frowned. "Excuse me? You're drunk?"

She didn't wait for answer and walked forward, taking a quick sniff before backing away, eyes wide. "Oh my god, you are."

The face perfectly put on with makeup, twisted in a weird sneer again. "Makes a greater story."

Austin whined and hugged Jayden's side. "This is too early for this, nooooo..."

Kate's face hardened. "We need to go to the office and stop all of this. Let's go. Or... there's the good old trick..."

She brings her phone out and held it up, towards us.

"I can just film it all."

Jayden and I looked at each other, both thinking whether we should bolt when the time is right but shook our head at the same time, deciding not to.