𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

Temperance

Temperance.

My little lisa.

Not that she would let me call her that. In fact her face turns bright red with anger when I call her that.

Like right now.

In all her fiery red glory stands my childhood best friend. Well, ex-best friend.

You had to. Remember that.

She would leave you anyway if she knew.

Flashbacks of that night threaten to flood my mind but I push away the guilt, put on my facade that I always use and smirk.

"Jax." She nods in greeting but I see the way her jaw clenched as she spoke.

"Oh sweetheart." My mom runs over from the kitchen and hugs her. "It's been so long. You look beautiful." She smiles.

My mother is probably the sweetest person you'll ever meet. Too sweet for her own good occasionally.

Like with my father.

"Come on, honey it's time for dinner." My mother puts a hand on my shoulder and brings me over to the dinner table.

She sits me right across from Temperance. Perfect.

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I take it out under the table.

UNKNOWN: How would Temperance or should I say your little lisa feel if she found out about the real reason behind the end of your relationship? About the secrets you keep for your father? I would hate for her to find out but who knows what could happen.

Until then, Jax
Unknown.

Memories of that night flood my mind.

No. No. No.

Not again.

Flashback, Age nine-

"Papa!" I skip around the corner of the hallway turn towards papa's office.

He's probably working right now but I want to show him the flower I picked for lisa.

I'm gonna marry lisa one day because she's my best friend and mommy says you marry the person who makes you feel like you're at the top of the world.

The person who makes you feel happy and safe.

And that's what lisa does for me.

Mommy taught me that word. lisa.

It means fox in Russian. And that's what so think of when I see Temperance.

My little fox.

"Papa." I say again and push the door to his office open a little.

I peek my head and inside expecting to see him working at his desk like he always is at this time but instead I see him with a women.

She looks like she's asleep.

He turns her body over on the floor and I see her face more clearly.

Mrs. River? What's he doing with lisa's mother?

He lifts up her long blue dress a little and pulls her underwear down.

She still doesn't move.

He unbuckles his pants and does something that makes him grunt.

She still doesn't move but a tear drips down the side of her face.

I feel a sick feeling in my stomach and drop the flower.

I run outside the front door and drop to my knees.

Tears flood my face and throw up erupts out of me and onto the grass.

It's all my fault.

I beat my head with my fist.

I'm sick. I should've done something.

lisa will hate me.

I hit my head again and make a promise to myself.

Temp can't find out no one can. So I'll have to push her away.

Make her hate me, even if it hurts.

It's better for her.

Goodbye my little lisa.

End of flashback-

"Honey, you haven't touched your food." My mother says next to me.

"Oh yeah I guess I just zoned out." I chuckle using my fake smile that I've mastered.

The only who can see through it is Temp.

I look forward as the adults continue their talk.

Temp looks me in the eye and concern immediately washes over her gaze.

We both don't look away for a while.

Unspoken words And feelings flow through the space in between us.

I want to reach out in break down in her arms but I can't.

Not after what I've done.

AUTHORS NOTE:

How are you liking Temperance and Jax so far?

How do you like Jax so far?

I feel so bad for baby Jax.

This chapter was kind of sad but does give some background of what happened between them.

After the first section of the characters in this story a new story will be coming!

I officially finished the first character section in my other book 'Where I found love'!

I posed twice in one day! Yay!

I hope you enjoyed and don't forget to vote!