TWENTY SIX

KANAN'S POV

"What are you doing Viraj?" I chuckled as he covered my eyes with both his hands. We had been discharged from the hospital, all the tests and reports were positive and the doctor said that there's nothing to worry about. It was such a relief that I would be able to go back home now. I had been craving it so much. I got up early today and took a bath and was ready to set back home. As soon as we reached the mansion, and I got out of the car, he blinded me by putting his hands on my eyes. I was shocked.

"There's a surprise for you wifey!" He said, I could hear the car door closing.

I just smiled and walked as he led the way. There were butterflies in my stomach with each feet I kept towards our home. I was back to home after so much time. Those hospital things, equipments, beeping machines and the smell of medicines, it had been too much to take and I was happy to experience the pleasant weather of my house now. Our house.

He removed his hands from my eyes as we reached the gate. "Welcome back Kanan!" There was a loud voice and then the poppers shot in the air. It was some sort of celebration.

"Oh My God!" My eyes were wet as I saw mom, dad, my mom and dad too were here. The house was decorated beautifully and there Viraj's mom stood before me with a dish in her hand, probably the "aarti ki thali." (A dish to keep the things when prayer happens)

"Mom, start...", Viraj said and I could just look at all of them in an awe. I was really blessed to have got such a good family and a caring husband like him. Tears welled in the corners of my eyes.

Mom started to rotate the aarti ki thali near me, and then she applied some "teeka" on my forehead and sprinkled some rice on me. It was a way we prayed to our Gods and Goddess. I felt like the most exalted person on the Earth.

I hugged mom as soon as she was done. "I love you so much mumma!" Tears came out of my eyes as she patted my back.

"Oh my Daughter...", she sniffled. She was emotional as well. "You don't know how much we were scared when you were there. All the time we just sat there outside the closed doors of the ICU and kept praying for your recovery. And see, he heard us, he sent you back to us Kanan."

"I would have never left you guys. Your love is enough to keep me attracted here!" I chuckled and she pecked my forehead.

Then my mom and dad came towards me and gave me a tight hug. I hadn't visited them since so long, and they were very busy as well with dad's meetings and business dealings. It had always been like that at home. They cupped my cheeks and smiled at me. "I am so sorry baby!" Mom said and hugged me again.

I hugged her back. "Why are you sorry mum?"

"I have never been there for you since childhood my love. I don't know how you might have felt like a child, but now seeing you with your in laws, I feel so guilty. I wish I could have been someone like them to you."

"Oh mumma, don't say that..." I said.

"I wish I could have been a better mom for you, my child." She was crying.

I pointed towards dad and asked him to help me to comfort her. "Mom, you were busy for us mom. You wanted me to have the best life, to have all the things in the world, to have it like a princess. You worked for me and so did, Dad. Please don't feel like this..."

Dad and I consoled her and after some time she felt better. That was true, my entire childhood was spent with the maid and the baby sitters, my parents were never there for me most of the times. The only times they were together and they were with me were, my birthday and the Christmas celebrations.

Even though our family roots were from India, I never learnt about the Indian culture so much as I learnt it with Viraj's family. My family was way too American to practice our Indian cultures. These are certain things I found here, when I got married to Viraj. Some of the best things in life.