TWENTY FOUR

VIRAJ'S POV

"Nothing will happen to her mom, nothing!" I cried while talking to Kanan's mom. Her mom and dad were in Venice due to his business meeting and this sudden news had devastated them. They were rushing towards here as soon as possible.

"Oh heavens! How the hell did it happen to my flower like a daughter?" She weeped and I couldn't do anything about her.

I continued to sob at her when my sister took the phone from me. She patted a hand on my shoulder and I couldn't do anything but sob. The entire family was here. There was nothing to be known about Mira and where she went but the entire Gaur family and Shekhawats were here.

I couldn't believe that it had happened. I somewhere hoped that I'll wake up and it will turn out to be a dream. A bad nightmare and nothing more than that. I have been crying for hours now. The doctors were inside with her in the ICU. My baby was in the intensive care unit and nothing could make my heart wretch more than that!

My baby was inside. I looked blankly at the closed metallic doors of the room and sobbed there. How could I not just notice that she was not with me when I came out? How could I make such a terrible mistake? How could I just leave her there? The guilt was taking over me and I didn't know how to calm myself down. It was getting too much to take.

The pictures of my wife, hurt and injured continued to fill my mind and I could not think of anything else. I kept on walking like no purpose in life and didn't even have time to think about what was happening around me. How happy and excited she was to come to the marriage. The flashes of me and her giving each other a passionate kiss hit my mind. It was such a beautiful thing happening.

Her eyes, those glittery lustrous eyes, she held so much magic in them and they had turned so hurt when she lied there with blinking eye lids. How those happy smiling lips had turned cracky and sad. She was in pain and I was outside in the crowd. God should punish me for such a huge offence. How dare I leave her?

"Where are you going son?" Mom's voice fell in my ears and I looked at her.

"To get some air." I pursed my lips together.

She held me and then engulfed me into a hug. I couldn't stop my tears. My mom started to cry and sniffle. We all were praying for Kanan. The doctors had told that she had been burnt at very sensitive places. It would take some time for the treatment and the surgeries. They didn't even know if she would be conscious after the surgery or not.

The intense heat had caused rapid and severe damage to the skin, muscles, and tissues. The skin had got blisters, char, and potentially melted at some places. Her respiratory tract and lungs had been affected badly due to the poisonous gases. We rushed her directly to the city hospital. The entire force of professional doctors were busy treating her and that was the only hope for us!

Mom patted my back. "Nothing wrong will happen to her son. She will be okay very soon. Don't lose hope."

"What more wrong can happen now?" I cried and sat there on the floor.

"Viraj...", mom groaned and sat down there keeping the food package side. "Don't cry so much son. You will make yourself ill. Please stop now my son!" She kept on hugging me and I couldn't stop the overflowing tears.

After a while she wiped off my tears. "Come, have some food. You will feel better."

"I will feel better only when my wife is awake." I said and stared at her.

"She will be..." she caressed my cheek.

"She has to be."

"She's a brave girl, she will be going to come back again. She is a fighter." Mom wiped away her tears.