4: His Secret

2011 © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 

I was sat at the dining room table with Lizzie on my left and Rachel on my right, who by the way kept giving me the 'glare' every five minutes, and by the life of me I had no idea how I had ended up here. After Lizzie's little revelation that still gives me the shivers every time I think about it, she went off to call her fiancé and I was happily left on my own in the glorious sun shine until Kiera came and told me that the guests had gone and to get ready for dinner. I did as she asked but when I arrived at the dining table I was roughly shoved on a chair between my sisters and a plate of wonderful smelling lasagne placed in front of me by a young maid. I scoffed "what we hire help! Too lazy to lift a finger".

My mother smiled coldly at me "well when you have the means I say flaunt them, we can't all get along with living in a grungy flat and being friends with humans".

The fork in my hand bent under the increased pressure from my grip "my apartment has more life than your smile; tell me how much did that cost?"

She opened her mouth prepared to yell but James cut her off "so August what's it like living in the city?"

I was furious at my mother, how dare she mock the life I had made for myself! I sighed to calm the raging fires that pushed my wolf further to release, how much I wanted to just let the change happen and rip her head off. With both hands I grasped the fork and fixed it shape "it's great, the life and people there are amazing. I work in a café" Rachel chocked on her food and from the corner of my eye I saw her containing laugher which I chose to ignore,

"It's small but very popular and I have a best friend called Macy who may be quite fiery but she is more a loyal friend as they come".

James smiled "I've always wanted to go to the city but with my training coming up it most likely will never happen"

 "What training?" I took a bite of the food which couldn't be faulted, the meat was perfect and the sauce was creamy and made my taste buds happy. "Well I'm going to be Beta of a pack down south"

My eyes widened "congratulations James"

He blushed, which actually made him look extra sexy, "thanks"

 "Yes but I'm going to miss him" Kiera who had been sitting quietly by her twin brother James spoke with such sadness that for a moment I was envious of their brother and sister relationship. When I was younger and Lizzie had been born I begged my father to swap her for baby brother, another sister was something I hated and knew I would never be able to cope with. Mum had been furious with me for even asking and gave me the punishment of a good slap which dad absolutely went mad over. I wished with all my might he was here right now. James held Kiera's hand and looked at her "Kiera remember you can come with me!"

 "I know but I don't think they would want me there"

 "I would want you there" she pulled her hand from his and stood up.

"I don't want to talk about it" then without any warning she ran from the room and soon enough we heard the sound of a door slam. James sighed and he looked like he was taking the weight if the worlds on his shoulders "excuse me while I speak to my twin". I watched unsure of what to do or say as he left the table and followed his sisters' footsteps.

 "I almost forgot how you kill the mood little sis" she spoke with such sarcasm and amusement it made me sick, "shut up Rachel or do you want knocking out again?"

She slowly brought the glass to her lips, speaking slowly before the glass rim touched her gossed lips "you wish".

I stood up not having the energy to fight with her "excuse me".