2: His Secret

This chapter is dedicated to 'sheeeeeeeeeeeeeep' who commented first on my new story xx

.......................................................................

2011 © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 

Edited by DarciePeck

Well this isn’t awkward at all!

There was an unknown sense of unease, as a variety of eyes looked upon me. I scanned over their faces, and tried to cover my nerves by smiling. They all looked confused as to who I was, and for a moment I wondered if I did the right thing by coming here.

As my eyes scanned, I came across two sets that recognised me, feelings of shock and dread hitting me like a ton of bricks. In front of me stood my mother and little sister Lizzie. Seeing them again after such a long time brought back memories that I would rather forget. However, I smiled and shook off any bad feelings. I was here to support my sister, to show them that I had moved on from the past.

“Congratulations Lizzie.” It was the first thing that sprang out of my mouth. I wanted to be nice after all.

Lizzie's baby blue eyes looked over every inch of my appearance, and by the way she rubbed her hands together I would have thought she was nervous to see me. I suppose it was to be expected. She soon stepped closer to me and the words that left her mouth should have shocked me, but they didn't, "August, you've gone all pretty."

I rolled my eyes at her words. We hadn’t seen each other in just over a year and the first thing she says to me is a comment on my image. I sighed, “Yes Lizzie, I am.”

She turned to mum, who also couldn’t get over the new me. Was it wrong to take a moment of utter pride and fulfilment from the look of jealousy and disbelief radiating  from my mum’s features?

Mum smiled, but it held no warmth or happiness seeing me, “Well, I’m glad to see you finally took my words of advice seriously.” Her voice was soaked in smugness and satisfaction, which I soon stopped.

“Actually, I changed because of me, not you mother.” I put emphasis on the word ‘mother.’ She hadn’t been one to me since I said my first word.

“Don’t give me attitude August!”

I smiled, "God, it is so great to see you again mum." Even as I spoke with such confidence, there was a small part of me that was afraid of her. I think it would always be there, no matter how hard I tired to push it away.

My mother raised a finger at me, “Look here miss, your sister is getting mated to Guy in a week. She kindly invited you, so don’t you push your luck or I will throw you out of this house myself.”

I laughed, “I’d like to see you try.” There it was again, that confidence, and it eased my nerves once I caught the look of shock in her eyes. I needed to remember that she could no longer hurt me.

“Ok people, let’s calm down.” The girl who escorted me in earlier, came in between me and my mother, slowly pushing us apart. As she pulled me away from mum, I could immediately feel the heat of my wolf mellow, the thick tension vanishing. I looked at the girl and smiled with thanks. She just mouthed the word ‘crazy’ while jerking her head in my mum's direction. That instantly made me laugh and forget about mum and all my problems.

“August, let me introduce you to some people…Oh yeah, I’m Kiera by the way.”

My smiled widened, “Nice to me you Kiera.”

"Same to you August," she kindly said, while guiding me to the group of interested onlookers. “August, this is my brother James. James, this is August." The instant I looked at him, my eyes widened slightly in amazement. I could easily admit that James was handsome, with his sleek black hair, pure olive skin and chocolate brown eyes. But what had me amazed was how much Kiera and James looked like each other. I had never met twins before, so this was kind of exciting for me.