48

INT. FOYER – DAWN

Gwi walks briskly into the foyer on his way out. MS passes by.

GWI
Oh, Kim Mi-Sook. I'm glad you're here.

KIM MI-SOOK
Yes, Your Majesty?

GWI
I'm going to be away today. Please tell Hye-ryung that I'm out on business and I'll be back before long, probably tonight sometime.

KIM MI-SOOK
Yes, sire. Godspeed.

GWI
Thank you.

Gwi leaves the foyer and transitions straight to Soo-ji's work room.

INT. SJ'S WORK ROOM – DAY

GWI
Hello, Soo-ji-ya. Nice to see you at work already.

SOO-JI
(delighted)
Hello, Gwi. How are you?
(to the air)
Father, Gwi is here.

Hyeon comes through the door.

HYEON
Good to see you, lad. Is this just a friendly visit to see how well we're keeping the place up?

GWI
I'm afraid not. Soo-ji, I need an audience with the council. Today.

SOO-JI
Gwi, you know I won't get approval that quickly.

GWI
(smiles)
Try. This one is rather important.

HYEON
(serious, knowing)
Do you want me to go with you?

GWI
No, thank you.
(pause)
Actually, I was planning to go alone but now that you mention it, I should see if Tae wants to join me. He'll give me some balance. The council might like that.

SOO-JI
What? How is this possible?
(holds up paper)
I've only started writing the request and their approval has already come through. What is this about Gwi? I've never seen anything like this.

GWI
Hopefully that's a good sign. I'm changing sides, friend. I'll explain later.
(to the air)
Tae, if you want to join me, today is the day. I'm meeting the council now.

GWI
Oh, before I go, we're having another dinner party soon. Hye-ryung is anxious to see you both. I'll let you know the details when we've decided on the day.

Gwi disappears. Hyeon stands concerned, SJ baffled.

SOO-JI
Father, what on earth is all this about?

HYEON
(mutters to himself)
Damn. Damn, damn, damn.

INT. LARGE SITTING ROOM – DAY

The council of 5 sit around a table, facing the entrance, 3 men and 2 women in a different order this time. Severe faces again. Gwi kneels before them and Tae enters to join him. Gwi happy to see Tae and full of hope. The brothers bow down fully.

MAN 2
The council has received your request for an audience. Please do state your business in a brief manner.

GWI
I request Providence to make me a man. I relinquish all my rights and benefits as a demi-god so that I might marry Choi Hye-ryung. I have very few charges at the moment so there will not be much need to move people around.

WOMAN 1
Request denied.

Silence as Tae and Gwi are both in shock. They look at each other, fearing where this will lead. Tae bows low to the ground.

TAE
Your Majesties, I beg on behalf of both my brother and Choi Hye-ryung for you to reconsider. I-

WOMAN 1
We will not.

GWI
(beginning to get angry)
Why not? It's not as though this were my idea. According to Tae, Providence Himself planned this all along, which means you also were involved in it.

MAN 2
You were never intended to abandon your privileges and duties as a demi-god. You cannot. You will not.

GWI
(mutters)
The fuck I won't.

TAE
(frantically whispers)
Calm down, Gwi.

GWI
(breathes in deeply, clenching teeth)
Can you explain to me then what the plan was meant to be for all of this?

MAN 1
Make a request that we can approve.

GWI
(whispers to Tae)
Wonderful, we're in a guessing game now. What is it that they want to hear?

WOMAN 1
What is it that you want?

GWI
What do I want? I told you want I want. I want to marry Choi Hye-ryung. I want to spend as long as I can with her, the rest of her life, the rest of my life.

MAN 1
Approved.

GWI
But- How?

MAN 1
(ignoring Gwi)
On one condition. Choi Hye-ryung must agree to becoming a demi-god.

GWI
(looking at the council, looking at Tae)
Is that even possible? I've never even heard of such a thing. No human has ever been changed into a god. How can you-?

WOMAN 1
That is the condition.

Gwi looks at Tae who is now beaming, still trying to take in what's happening/how this is a possibility.

TAE
Will Choi Hye-ryung need to appear before the council before the wedding?

MAN 2
That won't be necessary. As long as she is in agreement, we will grant her godship automatically when she marries. Afterwards she can put in a request with Soo-Ji for the appropriate documents and training.
(pause)
We trust that is all.

TAE
(bowing low again)
Yes, Your Majesties. We give you our deepest thanks and we praise the infinite wisdom of Providence.

GWI
Your Majesties! Before we are sent out- Why would I be granted something that no other god has ever received before? Why is this being made possible?

WOMAN 1
When you stand before Providence someday you may ask Him yourself. He will answer you then.

INT. SJ'S WORK ROOM – DAY

Gwi and Tae find themselves back in SJ's room, standing, full of wonder. SJ at her table.

GWI
I'm not mad, am I Tae? That truly just happened.

TAE
(laughs)
Why are you still here? Go! Go to her at once.

SOO-JI
(to the air)
Father they've returned.

Gwi goes out the door. Immediately after, Hyeon comes in the door.

HYEON
What happened? What did they say?

TAE
Soo-ji-ya, I hope you're ready for a new type of paperwork. This certainly will be interesting.