4

EXT. CITY STREETS/INT. PM'S HOME – NIGHT

Gwi and four of his male servants including Lee Seong in black wait on rooftops around the inspector's house. There are other guards scattered around, but they have been commanded to follow Gwi's lead so they merely wait and watch. The men see three assassins approaching. Gwi drops to the last one and takes him down instantly without making any disturbance. As Gwi comes behind the second, the assassin turns and slashes at him. There is a small scuffle but Gwi kills him quickly. The first assassin hears the scuffle and rushes to them as the second is being killed. Gwi's men move closer to help if needed but Gwi disarms the assassin and bites him.

GWI
(whispers to his servants)
Throw them over the wall so their bodies are within the residence. Lee Seong, go tell the inspector where to find the bodies. Whether he wants to keep his men posted here or send them on to one of the other houses is up to him. I'll meet you all at the chief royal secretary's house.

ALL SERVANTS
(whispering)
Yes, sire.

LATER

Gwi stands on a road waiting for his servants who run up noiselessly to him.

GWI
The men guarding the house were able to take care of things here fairly easily. We need to check on the prime minister's residence and then we'll be done for the night.
(smiles)
Let's see if the serpent will live to see another day.

LATER

INT. PM'S ROOM

PM's wife sleeps alone. Two assassins enter and check the bed.

ASSASSIN 1
(whispers)
He's not here.

ASSASSIN 2
Kill the wife.

Assassin 1 leans down and slices the PM's wife throat quickly and quietly. Meanwhile, PM hides in a large cabinet, shaking and sweating.

ASSASSIN 2
Check the room thoroughly, every corner. We can't fail again. I'll go through the other areas.

Assassin 2 exits the room, and starts to walk down the hall. Gwi walks up and bites him from behind, silently. Lays the body down and returns to PM's room. Gwi stands in the doorway.

GWI
I will move to the side of this door for five seconds. You can escape if you want or I will kill you. Five-

Assassin 1 runs for the door without hesitation and disappears down the hall. Gwi calls down the hall.

GWI (CONT'D)
Wise choice.

Gwi's servants join him.

GWI (CONT'D)
Can we get some light in here?

Servants look for candles and begin lighting what they can find.

Gwi crouches down next to the mattress and lifts the blanket to see HR's mother. She seems oddly peaceful.

GWI (CONT'D)
(sighs)
You can come out now, Prime Minister. Your wife is dead, as are the men who were guarding your house.

PM peaks out from the cabinet and slowly makes his way out. His body is cramped from the tight position.

PRIME MINISTER
What took you so long? Look at this mess. How am I meant to cover this up?

GWI
(darkly, still looking at HR's mother)
Say one more word and I will kill you here and now.

PM stifles himself, lowers his head.

GWI (CONT'D)
(to servants)
Leave the body in the hallway as well as those outside. One of you notify the chief inspector to send men to take them away. The others, take her back to the palace and prepare her body for cremation. Wait for me before lighting the pyre.

The men carefully take the body and exit.

GWI (CONT'D)
Goodnight, Prime Minister. Sweet dreams.

PM merely bows to Gwi, controlling his anger. Gwi leaves without closing the door.

EXT. PALACE YARD – NIGHT

Gwi enters hurriedly while steward waits next to a pyre with HR's mother on top. Everything is ready for her cremation.

STEWARD
It will be dawn soon, Your Majesty. We must hurry.

GWI
Yes, go ahead and light the fires.

STEWARD
(begins lighting)
Are you sure you don't want Miss Choi here?

GWI
I don't want her to see her mother cut up like this. Actually, on that, I don't want any talk of this to reach Hye-ryung. I will tell her myself.

STEWARD
Yes, of course.

Gwi stays until the sun begins to rise.

LATER

GWI
I must go now. Find another servant or two to finish here and get some rest. When you have the chance later today, gather the ashes yourself. Keep them safe until you can find an appropriate spot to place them, but take care of it as quickly as possible.

STEWARD
Yes, sire, thank you.

Steward exits. Gwi looks again at the mostly burned pyre.

GWI
May you find peace at last.