31

EXT. GARDEN – DUSK

MS and HR take a turn around the garden. MS comes to the end of telling HR a story about fairies.

HYE-RYUNG
That was lovely Kim Mi-sook. Where did you learn all these stories?

MI-SOOK
My mother used to tell them to me. I don't know if she made them up or heard them from someone else, but I have always remembered them. I used to tell them to my little one as well.
(smiles sadly)

HR and MS come upon the stump where Gwi first kissed HR on the lips after her dream. The memory suddenly overwhelms HR, knocking the breath out of her.

HYE-RYUNG
Kim Mi-sook, go on ahead. I want to stay out for a bit longer.

MI-SOOK
Are you sure, miss?

HYE-RYUNG
(smiles, wanting to reassure her)
Yes, I only want to pray a bit.

MS leaves as HR sits on the stump.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
(sighs)
I hadn't forgotten, but- I feel like I couldn't survive without these memories and yet they're killing me.

HR suddenly remembers JS, his death, his friendship, and the last meal they had together. How they sang, Gwi's words, which now seem profoundly prophetic. She sings part of Eternal Love Lost again, differently from before, darkly, full of longing and despair, barely able to make it through this time.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
Where is he? Where is my love? If I descend here, he is not. If I ascend there, he is not. The earth cries, she is empty. He has abandoned her. Etc.

HR finishes and sits quietly, not bothering to wipe her tears. Looks up at the stars.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
Is praying the same as invoking a god? Will they hear me? Will they come? Does anyone see how lost I am? Does anyone care? Is there anyone who has the power to bring him back? Will they?

He said he would come back. So why are you holding him? If I'm honest, I don't think I care what the reasons are. What could be the sense in this? How could it be justified? I don't want it to be justified. I don't want to agree that somehow this pain might be worth it. I just want to be in his arms again. Does he feel the same? Or does he agree with you?

(small smile)
Maybe someday he'll convince me that I'm wrong.

I don't know if praying like this makes any difference. But I hope it does. Because I don't know what else to do. And the one person who could tell me what to do isn't here.