38

INT. GWI'S ROOM/HR'S NEW ROOM – NIGHT

Gwi sits in his room reading through reports and updates from the past year, both on his palace and the kingdom. He thinks he hears something and stops to listen. Hearing nothing, Gwi returns to reading. After another minute, he hears HR gasp for breath in the next room. Gwi quickly gets up and goes to the adjoining door.

HR'S NEW ROOM

On entering HR's new room, Gwi raises his hand and the candles all light instantly. HR is lying on her bed half-asleep/half-awake sobbing.

GWI
Hye-ryung-a.

Gwi sits down beside her as she sits up and clings to him.

HYE-RYUNG
Gwi?
(tries to get control of herself)
I was just confused for a moment, that's all. I thought I had imagined you coming back. I'm sorry I disturbed you.

GWI
Don't apologise. You didn't disturb me. There is nowhere I want to be more, in this world or any other, than right here with you.
(brushes her hair away from her face)
Are you happy to be in the room next to mine?

HYE-RYUNG
Yes. It's such a relief. I used to-
(stops herself)

GWI
What? Tell me.

HYE-RYUNG
I used to sleep in your room sometimes. Not regularly, just on particularly bad nights. Kim Mi-sook and I decided it was fine for a night, but then I would sometimes sneak in. She probably knew I was doing it, but thankfully she never said anything.
(smiles)
Now I can't sneak in because you'll be there.

GWI
(grinning)
Please do sneak in. Shall I call for some tea?

HYE-RYUNG
Oh no, I don't want to wake anyone up.

GWI
(looks around)
Do you have a cup?

HYE-RYUNG
No, I don't think so. Kim Mi-sook normally clears everything away.

GWI
Just a moment.

Gwi goes back to his room and returns with a small glass. He raises his hand next to it and it fills with water.

GWI (CONT'D)
Here. Have some water.

HYE-RYUNG
How did you do that?

GWI
I created it.

HR drinks the water quickly.

HYE-RYUNG
(surprised)
It's so cold. Do it again.

GWI
(laughs)
Powers aren't meant to be used for entertainment.

HYE-RYUNG
(fake, weak cough)
I'm parched.

GWI
Very believable.

Gwi refills the glass. HR enjoys this one more slowly.

HYE-RYUNG
What else can you do?

GWI
Similar things to that, small things. Creating fire or plants. Destroying things. Moving things or preventing their movement.

HYE-RYUNG
Show me.

Gwi creates a small ball of water and flicks the droplets in HR's face. HR squeals and then covers her mouth.

HYE-RYUNG (CONT'D)
(whispering)
You'll wake the others.

GWI
I'm not the one who squealed.

HYE-RYUNG
Are you happy to be a demi-god again?

GWI
I am relieved that my punishment is over. And I think maybe I could be happy now.

HYE-RYUNG
We'll both be happy, together.

GWI
You should try to go back to sleep.

HR climbs back into her bed and smooths the cover over. Gwi starts to get up but HR reaches out and grabs the arm of his robe, stays silent.

GWI
Are you afraid?

HYE-RYUNG
No, not with you so close by. It's just nice having you here. I don't like to see you leave.

GWI
Call out if you need me.

HYE-RYUNG
I will. Gwi?

GWI
Hmm.

HYE-RYUNG
I love you.

GWI
I love you too. Goodnight, goddess.

HYE-RYUNG
Goodnight.