14

INT. THRONE ROOM – NIGHT

Gwi sits on the throne, tired and concerned. HR enters, happy as always to be summoned.

HYE-RYUNG
You called for me, sire?

GWI
Yes, dear. Come here.

Gwi reaches his hand out. HR climbs the steps and holds his hand.

HYE-RYUNG
May I sit?

GWI
Yes, of course.

HR kneels on the floor looking up at Gwi lovingly, still holding his hand.

GWI (CONT'D)
(sighs)
I'm sorry to say this – though maybe I shouldn't be –, but I'm afraid your father is very close to his demise. He seems to be not only struggling to control himself in my presence but also trying to work in secret, tacitly dismissing my explicit wishes.

HYE-RYUNG
What has he done?

GWI
He is attempting to secretly be married after I had advised him against the idea. Of course, I have so many more people working for me than even he realises. There's no way he was ever going to manage a marriage without my knowing. He doesn't know yet that I am putting a stop to his plans, but he will most likely attempt something senseless at that point.

In any case, it matters less what he's doing and more that he's decidedly going against me. It suggests that he's thinking to somehow rise above me or gain a foothold over me. It always comes to this, but I'm surprised he's lost patience so suddenly. Perhaps the death of your mother has caused him to snap.

Anyway, I'm not telling you to worry you or upset you. I only want to be certain that you stay clear of him at all costs. I know you've been avoiding him for some time now, but at this point it's paramount that he doesn't see you. Powerful people do very stupid things when they feel that their position is crumbling beneath them.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, of course, your Majesty. I will hide away if I hear he is even coming for a meeting.

GWI
Good. I am sorry to say it, but whenever it comes, his death will be swift and violent. That's the best that I can do.

HYE-RYUNG
He deserves much worse than that. I know I should accept and respect him as my father but he is first and foremost a dangerous, cruel man.
(remembers her first discussion with JS)
I will happily serve society by denouncing him, should I ever get the chance.

GWI
(smiles)
Let me deal with him first. You can denounce him all you want once he stops posing a threat to you.

HYE-RYUNG
Yes, my lord.