18

INT. GWI'S ROOM – NIGHT

HR walks around Gwi's room, touching his furniture, seeing her dragon embroidery and the painting she gave him.

HYE-RYUNG
Will you come back now? Will you come back soon? How long will we be separated? What if I'm old by the time you get back?

Hours pass but HR doesn't notice.

LATER

MS opens the door and breathes a sigh of relief.

MI-SOOK
There you are, miss. I was so worried when I couldn't find you. Have you been here all night? It's nearly morning now.

HYE-RYUNG
Is it? I didn't realise. Kim Mi-sook, what happened to his room? I didn't want to ask him before and then I forgot about it, but the first time I came here it was completely different.

MI-SOOK
(hesitant)
Well, miss, I'm not certain that I have the right to say. But I suppose he might tell you himself if you asked him now. The master completely destroyed his old room.

HYE-RYUNG
What? Why?

MI-SOOK
It was after you were attacked.

HYE-RYUNG
Didn't he have lots of antiques and valuables in here then?

MI-SOOK
Yes, my lady. I don't think they were ever especially important to him.

HYE-RYUNG
(considers this, breaks her heart even more)
I'm tired, Kim Mi-sook. Do you think it would be wrong if I slept here? I feel so alone in my room since he left.

MI-SOOK
(wavering)
I am not certain, but remember what we always say? It's his palace with his rules. What do you think His Majesty would say? Would he say it was wrong?

HYE-RYUNG
I can't imagine him saying it was wrong. Only, he wouldn't want people talking about me being improper. Maybe I shouldn't.

MI-SOOK
Don't you worry about the servants, my lady. He certainly wouldn't want that. I will talk to the steward and there simply won't be any talk about you other than praise. I only think His Majesty wouldn't want you to make a habit of it, for your own sake.

HR relieved and happy that she's been given a permission of sorts.

HYE-RYUNG
I won't sleep long, I'm sure. I'll go straight back to my room when I wake up. And I'll stay in my day clothes.

HR starts rolling out the mattress. MS begins blowing out candles.

MI-SOOK
Yes, miss. Sleep well.

MS leaves the room and closes the door with a somewhat sad, worried look as she goes.

HR leaves one candle burning as she clings to the blanket, breathing deeply. A tear rolls down the side of her face as she goes to blow out the candle.

HYE-RYUNG
(whispers)
It smells like you.