1

Through steadfast love and faithfulness sin is atoned for. Proverbs 16:6a

INT. THRONE ROOM – DAY
SEASON LATE SPRING

After a moment, Gwi pulls back from kissing HR. Both breathless.

GWI CONT'D
Whatever shall we do now? With all my intentions in utter ruins.

Gwi takes HR's hand and goes to sit on the steps as they talk.

HYE-RYUNG
Let's invoke your brother and I can tell him what I think of him.

GWI
Well, that would be entertaining, at the very least.

HYE-RYUNG
Do you think I really could speak with him?

GWI
Yes, of course. How long he'd stay to listen would be up to him, but I imagine your face alone would keep his attention.

HYE-RYUNG
I'm sorry that I look like her.

GWI
Even if that's how I found you?

HYE-RYUNG
No, I guess you're right. It was worth that.
(smiles)
As long as you've forgotten her.

GWI
It's nice to see you jealous.

HR holds Gwi's hand, playing with his fingers.

HYE-RYUNG
I've never felt so happy. I didn't at all imagine-
(cuts herself off)

GWI
Imagine what?

HYE-RYUNG
I didn't think it would end like this. I didn't think you would- I never thought- I thought I'd probably die today.

GWI
Yes, I could see that. There's something about you that's extraordinarily inflexible. It's going to cause you to suffer more than once in your life.
(sighs, grabbing her hand more tightly)

Hye-ryung-a, you really will have to keep to living day by day. I can't impress this upon you strongly enough, but I'll try to only say it once. There is no future for a life with me. There's nothing we can dream about or hope for. There's nothing more that we can become to each other than we are right now. It's all emptiness, darkness, and death. The hopelessness of it will eventually wear you out. I know that. When that happens, you are free to go. I will give you everything you need. I don't want you to suffer for my sake, any more than you already have.

HYE-RYUNG
I am content to live day to day. I don't need to know how everything will work out. I have enough hope for the both of us that you'll be rescued somehow.

GWI
I don't long for the day that hope sours.

HYE-RYUNG
Good, we won't think about it.

HR brings Gwi's hand up and kisses it happily, but then realises what she's done and becomes embarrassed. Gwi, wanting to reassure her, quickly reaches out to touch her face and kisses her again.