33

INT. LARGE SITTING ROOM – DAY

A council of 5 sit around a table, facing the entrance, 3 men and 2 women. All aged 50-70 with serious faces throughout. Gwi and Hyeon kneel before them. Gwi still looks a fright from his fight trying to leave. Hyeon bows down and Gwi follows him but stays silent.

HYEON
Please forgive Gwi for his outburst. It has been such a long time since he has been among us and he is overzealous.

WOMAN 1
(waves this away)
The council has received your request and granted an earlier meeting on the grounds of mercy. If we are all in agreement, let's not waste time on formalities.
(looks to the other gods who all agree)
We are here to discuss the reinstatement of your demi-godship. We cannot simply restore your title without some formal procedure and the assurance that you have indeed repented from your former actions. First question?

MAN 1
Please explain to the council why you were originally punished.

GWI
I took the life of a human, as well as the life of her father. As a demi-god, I had no right to decide whether they should live or die for their actions.

MAN 1
Aside from it being outside of your rights, why was it wrong?

GWI
(HR's words come back to him, bittersweet)
I ought to have been capable of far more than destruction. I ought to have thought of a better way. I ought to have yielded to higher and more deserving thoughts. I was full of pride and I didn't care if you knew better; I didn't care if you were right.
(lowers his head)
I fear I have not made much progress on that front, but I hope this will not prevent me from being reinstated.

MAN 2
And what else have you learned during your punishment?

GWI
Death is no victory. There is plenty of evil in the world if you want to find it. It is easy to exploit and to distract people with their own wicked desires. But no evil in the world can conquer true goodness, not even by killing it. Darkness has no weapon to prevent light if it wants to shine. Life is the victory and the pursuit of that even in the face of death is enough.

WOMAN 1
What is your intention should you be restored?

GWI
To fulfil the duties set by Providence and the council in a manner worthy of the position.

MAN 1
And should those duties separate you from Hye-ryung?

GWI
I would request the council to consider making me a man.

HYEON
Gwi! He doesn't mean that, Your Majesties. Please excuse him. He wasn't expecting you to ask him that.

MAN 1
(holds up his hand to quiet Hyeon)
Why would you request such a demotion?

GWI
I cannot fail the woman who saved my life. If Providence really did send her to me, then I would be more the fool to keep my status and lose her.

HYEON
(whispering)
Gwi! You cannot!

WOMAN 1
That is all. We have heard enough.
(the council whisper amongst themselves)
Your status has been restored fully, effective immediately.
(Gwi's cuts and bruising heal and his clothes return to normal)
Your charges and duties will be sent to you in time. For now, there will be no need to separate from Hye-ryung. Should that change in the future you will be notified and we will discuss further your status. You are free to go.

Gwi throws himself forward, bowing before they send him out.

GWI
Your Majesties! Please may I know the purpose in separating me from Hye-ryung for this period? Why must she endure so long on her own?

MAN 2
You may not-

A soft breeze blows through the room, stopping the man and quieting everyone.

MAN 2
(more quietly, with reverence)
We are not required to disclose that to you. In fact, it would be a better lesson to you if we did not. You would see in time. But Providence will allow you to know now one of the many reasons for this period of suffering. Hye-ryung will have a decision to make someday. This time apart from you is going to help her to make that decision. This is only one of the reasons, but we shouldn't have to tell you that it is for you, for the good of both of you. You will know more fully in time.

EXT. PALACE YARD – DAY

Gwi finds himself in his own yard, in broad daylight. Blinks and adjusts to the sunlight then hurries inside.