How This Story Began

Back at the end of June, I posted the following to my Facebook page and asked everyone which of the three following scenarios they liked best for an upcoming story, and then I started posting chapters in July: 

What had I done?  I rolled off of her and got off the bed, turning my back to her as I pulled on my clothes.

"That was always inevitable," she said in a voice that I used to find sultry but now it just made my skin crawl. "We've been circling each other forever and you know it was always leading to sex."

What had I done?

OR

What had I done? I stepped back from her and zipped up my pants, turning my back to her as I tucked in my shirt.

"That was always inevitable," she said in a voice that I used to find sultry but now it just made my skin crawl. She rose leisurely to her feet, swiping her tongue at the corner of her mouth. "Maybe you can return the favor and see if you like my taste as much as I like yours."

What had I done?

OR

What had I done? I removed her hands from my hair and moved several steps away from her, wiping the back of my hand over my lips to remove the taste of her kiss and any lipstick on my mouth.

"That was always inevitable," she said in a voice that I used to find sultry but now it just made my skin crawl. "I can't wait to take this beyond a kiss like that."

What had I done?

**************

You'll know right away which scenario won. :)

This is a story about missing what's right in front of you because you're dwelling on the past, on the one who got away, the one you thought you would be with but...didn't end up with. And then exploring what happens when that person you didn't marry suddenly becomes available after her divorce is final -- and you're married to another woman, who happens to be pregnant with your second child?

In Tanner and Esme, the hero has been married for four years to a woman he chose to marry after he got her pregnant -- while he was on a break from that woman he thought he would spend the rest of his life with. He keeps repeating that question, What had I done?, because he's going on a voyage of discovery to find the answers to it and which of the two women he truly loves.

This story has a bit of a different pace and unfolds differently, and you'll notice that it's told from the hero's POV right from the start, with just a little of the heroine's POV added. A reader on my FB page suggested a hero-POV story like that a while ago and Tanner and Esme seemed like a good fit to try it out.