Chapter 57

"You have absolutely no idea why we're mad.” Hwang Yi-Young said 'we' instead of 'I'. That meant that even if Kang Ho-Soo was not saying it, he shared the same sentiment as her.

“You're upset because I acted alone without consulting anyone.”

“Yeah, but what really pissed me off was that you did all of that without taking us into consideration the entire time.”

“About that…”

“I know, you probably knew we would have stopped you if we found out about it. However, if you had made an effort in the beginning to convince us and CEO Jang as you did after the fact, would we have blindly opposed it?”

Since Kang Ho-Soo and Hwang Yi-Young were just employees, they had no authority over the company policies that governed Woo-Jin. It was a fact that even if they had not opposed his plan, there was nothing they could have done for him. Putting it bluntly, if both of them had helped Woo-Jin, they might have had to resign.

“But at the very least, we would have gotten a solid confirmation and assurance of your rights and safety from Production Director Park, and we would have prepared for the worst-case scenario. Just because nothing happened doesn't mean it's unnecessary. You prepare because there is always the slightest possibility that something could go wrong.  But, you were so confident in yourself that you simply ignored the entire process. The stunts must have looked easy to you and you probably couldn't understand why we were nervous and worried about something so trivial. If you want to argue about efficiency, it would have been better to complete everything quickly without cumbersome procedures for the sake of convenience. But Woo-Jin, we are not you. There was no assurance and we were just terrified. You didn't give us any confidence and made us tremble in fear. You did that to the people who love and care about you the most out of everybody here on site.”

Right now, it was natural for Production Director Park to treat Woo-Jin kindly and gently while saying that Woo-Jin was doing amazing. That was because Woo-Jin had done everything so well without the production director having to gripe or act harshly towards him. This was the result of the cooperation between the production director and the actor for the sake of producing the drama. However, if one were to look at the intention behind their actions, it was similar yet different at the same time.

If Woo-Jin made the best choice after considering his pride as an actor and the production, then it could be said that Production Director Park Jong-Hyuk only took the drama's production into consideration. No matter what he did, Park Jong-Hyuk was a person who would not be ashamed of anything as long as it was for the production. He wasn't a person who felt gratitude or had a sense of altruism towards other people and Woo-Jin had ultimately hurt the people who loved him by believing such a person. 

“As an actor, you must have wanted to be proud of yourself, but hear me out. Even though you only have a small injury, Ho-Soo oppa and I, as well as everyone else at the site, were nervous and worried. There are people like us who care about you, and there are also people like Production Director Park who's worried that the shooting will be disrupted if something happens to you. In a way, it means that you're a precious and important person. And yet our worries just seem ridiculous to you?”

Woo-Jin shook his head after hearing Hwang Yi-Young's question. He had never thought of it that way – he had only thought he had to work hard and do his best.

“It's not the production crew or the production director that would be with you if something were to happen to you. Just like now, we'd be the ones who'll be with you. A drama is a production put together by actors and the production crew, but we're the ones who make Chae Woo-Jin the human into an actor. We are the staff members that specially cater to you and only you. If you're committed and loyal to your job, please respect what we do as well.”