Chapter 40

Chapter 40

I was having a briefing with the team. Archibald's number was great—I was more concerned with Maven's number. He's not performing well because as expected, he's been very vocal about his plans for the country. I didn't even have to do that much—his promises alone were enough to drive most mayors and congressmen away. I mean, I couldn't exactly blame them. Maven's been promising a transparency bill. Of course the corrupt politicians would get scared. They have a lot to hide. At this point, I didn't even have to do anything because those people would ensure that Maven would not win.

"So, why are you so bothered?" Aspen asked.

I looked at him, my forehead creased. It was Sunday. We're having brunch. We've decided that we should continue the tradition. It's just brunch, anyway. But still, it didn't feel the same without Abuela. May her soul have little respite from the burning pits of hell.

"Because," I said.

"Because what?"

"This isn't supposed to be too easy."

Aspen shrugged. "Maybe you're just used to always fighting to get what you want," he said. "This is how winning feels, Nadia. Take it all in."

Perhaps.

Perhaps I was just overthinking this... but I refused to believe that it could be this easy. I mean, I knew that at the end of the race, kami pa rin ang mananalo. But I was supposed to fight like hell for this. I was supposed to put everything on the line to win.

This didn't feel right.

At all.

"She's gonna do something," I said.

"And you're prepared," Aspen replied.

I gave him a small nod. I was prepared. Of course I was. I had years studying her. I attended brunch against my will. I engaged in small talks even though all she did was give me backhanded compliments.

Abuela raised me—of course I knew what I had to do. I just wished I didn't have to do that.

"So, everything's gonna be alright," Aspen told me. "Abuela might have been a pain in the ass, but if there's one thing I admire about her—she's all about family. Abby's not family. Abuela won't let her get ahead."

Aspen gave me a small pat on the head—like how he did when we were younger.

"I know that even in the depths of hell, she's looking out for us. Don't you worry," he continued. God, we, two, are really alike sometimes.

Maven and Abby and their little spawns arrived thereafter. I exchanged pleasantries with them. The kids were well-behaved. Jeremiah looked so much like Maven. It's such a shame that Juliette looks a lot like Abby. Hope she doesn't grow her little horns soon.

"Why don't you ever bring Atticus around?" Abby asked me. I looked at her. She looked so relaxed. I knew it. I knew she's planning something.

"I don't want him around you," I simply replied.

Abby gave me her usual polite smile. "Around me? Why me?"

"I think we both know why," I said.

She gave me a small nod. "I see."

I wanted to ask her what she was planning, but I didn't want to give her the satisfaction of knowing that I was losing sleep over her. God, how I long for the day when I don't have to worry about her.

"But she's with Archibald, yes?"

"Yes."

"Now, I'm confused."